English term for a soup technique - help, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard of using an egg white tempered with a little very warm soup and then whisked into the main pot and brought to a simmer. The egg white is cooked but in such small pieces it has the effect of lightening the color of the soup. I've never tried it, but this method might be what you're looking for, although I don't know of any specific name for doing this.

I'm not saying he is or isn't. What I'm saying is this is a successful method I have seen before and includes a tempering of the egg white before adding it to the soup so it doesn't turn into long strands as in "Egg Drop Soup." I'm making no remark about Charlie's stated method.

I'm not saying he is or isn't. What I'm saying is this is a successful method I have seen before and includes a tempering of the egg white before adding it to the soup so it doesn't turn into long strands as in "Egg Drop Soup." I'm making no remark about Charlie's stated method.

I was responding to CWS. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

In all the truth I've done it both ways, depending how hot soup was. The idea is not have soup to hot so egg doesn't cook. Then it really lightens the color. I have had egg cooked when soup was to hot. Well, it doesn't matter I guess. If the re is no name, so be it.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom