"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How many of you actually set the table on a daily basis as opposed to putting food on plates, grabbing a fork, and sitting down? Would setting place mats, napkins, and forks count as setting the table. My daughter is in charge of that, while I usually serve on plates (sometimes styrofoam ones), hubby serves the drinks and our son washes dishes.

Does anyone have an aversion to putting jars or bottles of food or drink on the table? We do it all the time. We are not very formal here...we're family.

Do you use cloth napkins daily or go for the expendable paper ones? Have never, ever used cloth ones. Are you kidding washing and ironing those things?!? LOL We go with nice, elegant paper napkins on special occasions and paper towels on a regular basis.

So overall, how casual or formal do you get in serving and eating your daily meals? We are very casual here and we make it a habit to eat dinner together as a family EVERY single evening.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #52
Sous Chef

Stirblue - I'm not a chemist, but there are a few things I would try. Since you say the stain is fat/oil, it's not going to be water soluble (but hot water might melt it out and allow it to dissociate from the material). I just did a quick search on the net and found a couple possibilities. Placing another absorbant product on both sides of the stain and ironing (melting the oils and allowing them to soak into the other material), rubbing the stain with something absorbant like corn meal or baking soda and allowing it to sit overnight before washing it in hot water, or perhaps simply soaking/scrubbing manually in hot water (try placing it in a bowl and pouring boiling hot water over it). Sometimes using an oxidizer afterwords like bleach will help if there is an odor - but be careful, as oxidizers tend to strip colors as well. I've never really had big problems with stains - usually the bleach and agitation of the washer is enough for my napkins.

My napkins are simple white squares. I usually wash them on the large cycle with lots of bleach. When they comes out of the dryer I straghten them out and stack 'em... no ironing (I don't even own an iron... ).

Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #53
Sous Chef

StirBlue, if you don't mind me chiming in here regarding those fish oil stains:

That it couldn't come out of the tie isn't surprising -- oil is tough and silk won't take much playing around. The two together are lethal, but take heart, you aren't the first person with a ruined silk tie!

As for your tablecloth: we get a huge number of oil stains all over everything it seems (oil is a very major ingredient over here), certainly lots of cooking splashes (my mother would be so humiliated to know that despite her good example, I seldom wear an apron!). However, most I can get out by putting a solution of Palmolive (or some other grease-busting liquid dishwashing detergent) and water right onto the spot and leaving it (at least overnight) to work before laundering. I make up a little solution of about two-thirds Palmolive with one-third water and keep it in a little hairdresser's needle-nose squeeze bottle right next to the sink. We use it often!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Yeah, thats a great idea too!

Come to think of it, thats actually what I do sometimes with my dishliquid when I'm scrubbing something in my sink.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Nicholas Mosher: Can you please tell me how to get fish oil out of my table cloth?

We also have a lovely silk necktie back from the dry cleaners with fish oil still on it and a note saying it could not be removed.
Try wetting the stained area first before dusting it with talcum powder. Rub it in thoroughly and leave it overnight before washing it off. Hopefully this will work for you.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

Location: My little home is on a major historical Canadian river, between Quebec and Ontario
paper napkins..??????...

My mother used cloth, I use cloth, always have, but I live alone, and reuse the napkin for a few meals...then drop it into a convenient sac in closet, along with dirty tea towels etc. When the children were home I used cloth then also......

This is just another way of not wasting paper......

Also had cloth in my restaurant...lunch and dinner....
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadles
My mother used cloth, I use cloth, always have, but I live alone, and reuse the napkin for a few meals...then drop it into a convenient sac in closet, along with dirty tea towels etc. When the children were home I used cloth then also......

This is just another way of not wasting paper......

Also had cloth in my restaurant...lunch and dinner....
I'm with you, treadles. Although my mother never used cloth napkins, even for special occasions. I've always used cloth. Did so when the 5 children were at home.

I use them because I like the feel of them when eating so it's not a wasting or not wasting thing for me. And, whoopee, my mother-in-law gave me 16 new napkins for Christmas.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #58
Senior Cook

When I was growing up we had cloth napkins - used the same one for a week! Each of us had our own napking ring. Grosses me out to think of it now. I love cloth napkins and don't mind the laundry, however I will use paper when we have a particularly messy finger licking menu.
Barbara
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #59
Master Chef

We don't do it every day, but do have the works and do use it on a regular basis. Yes, we eat with corelle and paper a couple times a week. In between do regular glass and some cloth. But when we make a special dinner (at least a couple times a month), and when we throw dinner parties for less than 9, we go all the way. By the way, I hate ironing it all, and am considering having it professionally done. the ironing that is, for a tablecloth for 8.