"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #21
Master Chef

1. On the grill - lightly charred. Served with mustard, ketchup, onions, pickled jalapeno rings or jalapeno relish.
2. On the cast grill pan or griddle, split lengthwise
3. Sliced into rounds and cooked with onions until onions are soft and hotdogs are slightly blackened. Add a can of pork and beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, etc.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #22
Master Chef

Two hotdogs on the grill, in the broiler or in a fry pan, as long as their charred slightly. Then I slice them lengthwise, lay em' between two slices of toast with mustard and sauerkraut. Sometimes I leave out the kraut and use relish and a slice of american cheese instead.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I never knew there were so many ways to cook a hot dog. I think that is probably dh's favorite food but I don't buy them often. He sometimes embarrases me when we go to a good barbecue place and he orders franks and beans. When our kids were small I used to split the hotdog almost all the way through - so it was butterflied - top with mashed potatoes and cheese and they loved it. It got something besides a hotdog in their tummies too so I was happy with that.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I never knew there were so many ways to cook a hot dog. I think that is probably dh's favorite food but I don't buy them often. He sometimes embarrases me when we go to a good barbecue place and he orders franks and beans. When our kids were small I used to split the hotdog almost all the way through - so it was butterflied - top with mashed potatoes and cheese and they loved it. It got something besides a hotdog in their tummies too so I was happy with that.
I do something similar with the hotdogs and mashed potatoes for us adults. I make a huge batch of mashed potatoes, stir in some mustard and relish, then put the potatoes in a casserole dish. Then I grill the hotdogs (8), once done I slice them across and stick each half around the edge of the potatoes encircling them, throw some shredded cheddar cheese on top, pop the whole thing in the oven and heat until cheese is melted. Truly a comfort dish.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Head Chef

My mother used to make hotdogs stuffed with mashed potatoes and put under the broiler with cheese...but she used that nasty American cheese that came in a can (like Kraft Parmesan). Still, we all loved it and gobbled it right up. Many of you may not know that hotdogs are a very popular item here in Mexico. They are prepared in a wide variety of ways, but almost never on a hot dog bun. Sliced crosswise, they are combined with chiles, onions and cheese and then eaten with tortillas, like a taco. The supermarket deli always has several varieties of hot dog concoctions, with various sauces. I like them this way - DH doesn't. But the most creative way to serve a hotdog has got to be salchichas de pulpo (literally, octopus sausages). They are found at every street fair and fiesta:
Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Karen - we love to do the mashed potatoes and cheese, but, with sausages like kielbasa. My son and his friends can't get enough of that stuff!

Love the octopus dogs!!!!!

Another good way to grill them (I haven't read the entire thread, sorry if this is a repeat) is to wrap a hotdog in bacon then grill, turning until the bacon is done. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
Head Chef

Those are most cool, Karen!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #28
Senior Cook

I had a hot dog making competition on lunch break at the restarant haha it was alot of fun, i topped mine with corn and bacon, and confited another one in bacon fat and topped with caramelized onions
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
We've all seen teh thread about the favorite dog. now, what's your favorite way to cook 'em?

Mine, in order of importance;
1. Roast on a stick over a campfire
2. nuke till warm, stick on a skewer, and finish over the open flame of my gas range.
3. Drop them whole into a batch of good prok and beans and heat with the beans. Serve them in the same bowl.
4. nuke them until they start to swell, serve on whole wheat with horseradish, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish, or with chili and cheese.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
1. cut into bite sized pieces added to pork and beans with a bit of brown mustard, ketchup and molasses.

2. cut ends about 1/2 inch down in a crisscross (so they are now 4 pieces on each end) cut shallow crisscross slashes on the sides. BBQ or fry. the ends open and curl and the side slits open up.
or simmered in saurekraut
or nuked for one minute - either way served on a bun that was frozen then placed in toaster oven while still frozen and heated till toasty on the outside and soft and steamy on the inside. with brown mustard.

3. all the way - boiled on a bun topped with brown mustard, minced raw onion and chili.

but my favorite favorite is the way mom made them:

Hot Dogs and Onions

hot dogs cut into circles (you may substitute bologna - sliced into thin strips)
onion - sliced thin in half moons
butter
tomato paste
Burgundy wine
salt
ground black pepper
pasta - i like small shells - cooked and drained
Italian bread - optional

Fry hot dogs and onion in butter till onions are soft and hot dogs are slightly brown and puffed. Add tomato paste to pan and enough water and wine till you have a sauce like consistency. Let come to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta or you can just put in bowl and eat with Italian bread.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I like them crunchy on the outside, so I like to grill or broil them, then toast the bun, and top with yellow mustard and ketchup.