Favorite Hot Dog Cooking Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that was me - in any city in the world you like. Best way to make a hot dog. Just my "dos centavos". :)
img_812499_0_4573c855b61a6fd8209ce94e563d74ab.gif
hello sweetie.

Sam's

Has anyone tried Sam's hot dogs? They sell them at a stand in Sam's and I have no idea if we were really hungry but they were like a steak to us. We wanted to get some last nite but they close at 8:30! It was 8:25 and the parking lot attendant said they were closing. What disappointment! The brand is Nathan's hot dogs. I got some at store but they can't compare to flavor that Sam's has.

Has anyone tried Sam's hot dogs? They sell them at a stand in Sam's and I have no idea if we were really hungry but they were like a steak to us. We wanted to get some last nite but they close at 8:30! It was 8:25 and the parking lot attendant said they were closing. What disappointment! The brand is Nathan's hot dogs. I got some at store but they can't compare to flavor that Sam's has.

What/where is Sam's? How did they cook them?

This is what happens when I am in hurry. SO SORRY! Here I go again just assuming that everyone has Sam's Club in their town. We are members of Sam's Club. While shopping we stopped to get one of the hot dogs they were selling. I thought the lady told us t h ey were Nathan's hot dogs. Did not see how t hey were cooking them but they were very very good. Again apologize for leaving out main detail. Sam's Club is where we had out hot dogs. We ate them at the store.

i'm not sure if we have sam's club close to me (i have heard of it, owned by walmart) but we have bj's and costco near here.

You can get Nathan's at other places besides Sam's Club. My supermarket carries them.

My local Costco carries Hebrew National. They are also good but I think they are too salty.

Last edited:
My boys like them boiled. I prefer them with pork and beans. My husband insists on the grill.

We all agree the best way is at a ball game. :)

~J

I think you can only get them in Wisconsin and Michigan; but Volworth's hot dogs are great. I used to peel the "skin" from them with my teeth when I was a kid. My dad would get me and himself a cold hot dog from the fridge while we were watching the CBS Friday Night Movie, and maybe a good chunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Eating that cold hot dog was a yummy game for me. After peeling away all of the skin, then I'd nibble the intire tube to see how thin I could get it before it finally broke. Yeh, I know. I'm strange:LOL: I still say though that there is no better way to cook a hot dog than on a willow stick in a campfire. And Pigs in the blanket are a close second.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Depends on the kind of hot dog for me. The darker, spicier dogs like Nathans I like just boiled and covered in either ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish (sometimes un-rinsed kraut if in the mood) or just covered in either coleslaw or kraut. The more common hot dogs like Ballpark or Oscar Meyer I like in too many ways to describe :) One of my favorites is grilled, then covered in Ketchup, Mustard, and Onions. Another is boiled or nuked and covered in chili sauce, shredded cheddar, and onions combined with mac-n-cheese of the boxed variety ... this was a staple when I was growing up. My wife and I joke about, "if we ever get rich, our personal chef will be disappointed making chili dogs & mac-n-cheese instead of haute cuisine" :)

Depends on the kind of hot dog for me. The darker, spicier dogs like Nathans I like just boiled and covered in either ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish (sometimes un-rinsed kraut if in the mood) or just covered in either coleslaw or kraut. The more common hot dogs like Ballpark or Oscar Meyer I like in too many ways to describe :) One of my favorites is grilled, then covered in Ketchup, Mustard, and Onions. Another is boiled or nuked and covered in chili sauce, shredded cheddar, and onions combined with mac-n-cheese of the boxed variety ... this was a staple when I was growing up. My wife and I joke about, "if we ever get rich, our personal chef will be disappointed making chili dogs & mac-n-cheese instead of haute cuisine" :)

...And potted meat sandwiches. I like the way you think.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When I was young and times were tight, Mom used to make stuffed hot dogs. She'd split them almost all the way through, lengthwise, then run a line of mashed potatoes through the middle, and bake until the potatoes turned a little brown on top (have no idea what temp or how long), sprinkle with paprika. And how about hot dogs & beans for hard times ... you can actually make a hot dog serve a couple of people when sliced added to cans of beans. Actually, I confess to not being that much of a hot dog lover, and when I like them best is at a small town or base/post) ball field, with beer (another thing I'm not crazy about normally) and mostly good company. Sometimes circumstances determine the flavor!

Goodweed of the North said:
...And potted meat sandwiches. I like the way you think.:LOL:

I haven't had one of those since I was a kid, that sounds good!

When I was young and times were tight, Mom used to make stuffed hot dogs. She'd split them almost all the way through, lengthwise, then run a line of mashed potatoes through the middle, and bake until the potatoes turned a little brown on top (have no idea what temp or how long), sprinkle with paprika. And how about hot dogs & beans for hard times ... you can actually make a hot dog serve a couple of people when sliced added to cans of beans. Actually, I confess to not being that much of a hot dog lover, and when I like them best is at a small town or base/post) ball field, with beer (another thing I'm not crazy about normally) and mostly good company. Sometimes circumstances determine the flavor!

Yuuum! I hadn't thought of that with the potatoes. My paternal grandmother used to split them and then fill them with cheeze whiz. Another time I split them was when I was on a diet, one half to each bun ... nowhere near as good of course, but when you're eating nothing but vegetables and dry B&S chicken breasts ... any way I can get a hold of a hot dog and I'm in heaven :)

I agree with ya on the ballpark dogs and beer, I used to go to baseball games a lot and I would load up on hot dogs. Then when I got older, I added the beer :ohmy:

One of my favs is to split a dog almost all the way and slide a couple slices of cheese in and then wrap a piece of bacon around it and then broil it. It is different that's for sure! :rolleyes:

Most favorite is grilled or open flame until they
are black on the outside. I will also split and
pan fry 2 dogs to make a hot dog sandwich.
I learned to like franks and beans when I went
to a training class in Columbus, Ohio. Never had
them before then.

Most favorite is grilled or open flame until they
are black on the outside. I will also split and
pan fry 2 dogs to make a hot dog sandwich.
I learned to like franks and beans when I went
to a training class in Columbus, Ohio. Never had
them before then.

Lol, my wife and I love "beans-n-wieners" and we're both from Columbus :) It was something you made when you were short on cash, but we still eat 'em regardless ... gotta have bread and butter with 'em too!

Back
Top Bottom