"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #31
Master Chef

I have to make a corection to my list of favorite hot dog cooking techniques. Number two has got to be ((drum roll please) and this is number two only because everything is better when cooked out in the woods) pigs in the blanket, made with a good hot dog, like Hebrew National, Volwurths, or Wrath Blackhawk, and wrapped in freshly made, yeasty-good white bread dough. Let the dough rise the first time, punch it down, flatten a piece of cough to make a wrap that just barely wraps around the dog. Then allow to rise the second time and bake until golden brown. Put a bit of good stuff in the inside of the blanket before wrapping if you like, like good American Cheese, or maybe a bit of mustard and reslish, or Sriracha Sauce. Yum. Bake until goldn brown and serve up with some great baked beans.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
Master Chef

I thought this might be a good place to post a story. I was about 10 years old, and doing our family every few years visit to my parents' families in New Hampshire. We were visiting my dad's parents' apartment in Manchester, and were to have a traditional family Sunday breakfast. When I was told the meat would be saucisse (my paternal grandmother spoke no English), I didn't think much of it, not speaking French much at the time. It turned out that the family tradition was to have hot dogs as the meat for the breakfast. Well, when you think of it, hot dogs are sausages, right? Anyway, Pepere (sorry, no accents) very carefully steamed them and they were really the very best hot dogs I ever ate.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
I had a hot dog making competition on lunch break at the restarant haha it was alot of fun, i topped mine with corn and bacon, and confited another one in bacon fat and topped with caramelized onions
You're my hero.

I prefer them grilled or prepared on a 'hot dog roller.'

Old 04-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

In summer we BBQ them and the rest of the time I usually pan fry them. I usually make whole wheat buns but lately have been buying them. Toppings include:

- Fried (caramelized) onions - lots of them piled high!
- Sauerkraut & Swiss cheese (a Reuben dog, my personal favourite)
- Mustard and Ketchup (not on mine thank you!)
- Slit open with any kind of cheese in the centre (works well on large dogs or smokies)
- brown beans or chili
- Ranch Dressing slathered on the bun! (this was a camp thing - Ranch "improved" everything, and it has stuck with me for hot dogs).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
Head Chef

Oh boy. I loathe hot dogs. Only thing I'd do with them is bin them! (With apologies to all hot dog fans.)
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Steam the buns; steam the dogs; cut wedges of tomato; cut wedges of yellow onion. Slather with your choice of mustard, horseradish, mayonaise, pickle relish, sauerkraut, ketchup (not traditional). Should be able to eat at least 2 big ones. Serve with potato chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #37
Certified Cake Maniac

I watched an old episode of "The Next Iron Chef", the second last episode, and Michael Symon, who of course eventually won, made a lobster hot dog. It really still looked like a lobster roll to me, but the technique was all hot dog! To me, lobster and hot dog just don't go together! But the judges liked it!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #38
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
Steam the buns; steam the dogs; cut wedges of tomato; cut wedges of yellow onion. Slather with your choice of mustard, horseradish, mayonaise, pickle relish, sauerkraut, ketchup (not traditional). Should be able to eat at least 2 big ones. Serve with potato chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
I thought you looked like the guy with the Hot Dog cart down the street!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I thought you looked like the guy with the Hot Dog cart down the street!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Yeah, that was me - in any city in the world you like. Best way to make a hot dog. Just my "dos centavos".