Favorite Hot Dog Cooking Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is how I cook them. It' s called " Grilled Cheese Hotdog Sandwiches"!
First thing is split hotdogs length wise about 3/4 of the way though. Open each hotdog and flaten it out. Brown on both sides.
Pan fry them in a black iron skillet (just a little oil), brown them pretty good. Cook two hotdogs for each sandwich you want. Take hotdogs out set aside. Cover to keep warm.
Next slice some Velveeta cheese about a 1/4" thick. Butter two slices of bread pretty heavy with margarine and/or butter. (Real butter taste better, I think) Next put together sandwiches in skillet. Lay one slice of the buttered bread buttered side down, in the skillet. Med high heat, no oil. Put two of the fried split hotdogs on top of that slice of bread. Top that with the Velveeta cheese, cover the hotdogs. Last put on the other slice of bread, buttered side up this time. Cook just like you would a grilled cheese sandwich, turning and grilling/toasting til browned on both sides, and the cheese is starting to run. Gooey! Cut them on the dia. and garnish with wild green onions out of your own front yard.:rolleyes:(just kidding about that part, I seem to have allot of those d#m things):mad: Really guy's these things are gooey good! Cheap and the grandkids love them. Try and Enjoy!

Dave L.

This is how I cook them. It' s called " Grilled Cheese Hotdog Sandwiches"!
First thing is split hotdogs length wise about 3/4 of the way though. Open each hotdog and flaten it out. Brown on both sides.
Pan fry them in a black iron skillet (just a little oil), brown them pretty good. Cook two hotdogs for each sandwich you want. Take hotdogs out set aside. Cover to keep warm.
Next slice some Velveeta cheese about a 1/4" thick. Butter two slices of bread pretty heavy with margarine and/or butter. (Real butter taste better, I think) Next put together sandwiches in skillet. Lay one slice of the buttered bread buttered side down, in the skillet. Med high heat, no oil. Put two of the fried split hotdogs on top of that slice of bread. Top that with the Velveeta cheese, cover the hotdogs. Last put on the other slice of bread, buttered side up this time. Cook just like you would a grilled cheese sandwich, turning and grilling/toasting til browned on both sides, and the cheese is starting to run. Gooey! Cut them on the dia. and garnish with wild green onions out of your own front yard.:rolleyes:(just kidding about that part, I seem to have allot of those d#m things):mad: Really guy's these things are gooey good! Cheap and the grandkids love them. Try and Enjoy!

Dave L.
i've done that!! sometimes i add a bit of fried, drained bacon.

Ahhh, Fried Hot Dog, Egg and Cheddar. Found some Nathan's on sale!

img_815894_0_a2f2f71362223cf34974527addd234b6.jpg

Yum.. you guys are making me hungry! I like to grill my hotdogs with bacon wrapped around it then stuff it in a grilled chedder cheese sandwich w/ grilled onions and BBQ sauce! :rolleyes:

Yum.. you guys are making me hungry! I like to grill my hotdogs with bacon wrapped around it then stuff it in a grilled chedder cheese sandwich w/ grilled onions and BBQ sauce! :rolleyes:
I love hotdogs that way, though I have not had them with grilled onions and BBQ sauce. I like them split down the middle, add strips of cheddar cheese, wrapped in bacon and down on the grill or in the oven. My first job was at a snack bar, and they did them on the grill with bacon and cheddar. They called them Dog Burgers. What a favorite with so many people!

My favorite way to cook them is in the oven. I line small baking pan with foil, treat with Olive or Canola oil, and slit with a small knife in a spiral fashion (not cutting through). They look fancy when they puff-up. The outside is crunchy, and the inside is juicy!
drool.gif

I know that I don't cook these, but I have to add...
When I lived in Jamestown, NY, there was a place called Johnny's lunch. They were famous (locally, but they have expanded to MIchigan) for their "almost-like" chili dogs. It's like chili, only smoother texture. They are really great with mustard and diced onion!! Looking at their website, they have expanded their horizons on different types of dogs they offer.
Johnny's Lunch

Another great place is called AJ's Texas Hots (same town in NY). They do almost the same thing as above, they their special sauce is spicier, and they don't have the variety. I think I should be in the "road forum." :ermm:

.... didn't mean to hijack. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is a place near my house called boogie burger. They have a bacon wrapped hot dog that is deep fried and topped with your choice of anything and comes with nacho style cheese, I've only ate it once but from what I remember it was tasty

I love hotdogs that way, though I have not had them with grilled onions and BBQ sauce. I like them split down the middle, add strips of cheddar cheese, wrapped in bacon and down on the grill or in the oven. My first job was at a snack bar, and they did them on the grill with bacon and cheddar. They called them Dog Burgers. What a favorite with so many people!

My favorite way to cook them is in the oven. I line small baking pan with foil, treat with Olive or Canola oil, and slit with a small knife in a spiral fashion (not cutting through). They look fancy when they puff-up. The outside is crunchy, and the inside is juicy!
drool.gif

I know that I don't cook these, but I have to add...
When I lived in Jamestown, NY, there was a place called Johnny's lunch. They were famous (locally, but they have expanded to MIchigan) for their "almost-like" chili dogs. It's like chili, only smoother texture. They are really great with mustard and diced onion!! Looking at their website, they have expanded their horizons on different types of dogs they offer.
Johnny's Lunch

Another great place is called AJ's Texas Hots (same town in NY). They do almost the same thing as above, they their special sauce is spicier, and they don't have the variety. I think I should be in the "road forum." :ermm:

.... didn't mean to hijack. :rolleyes:
we have a place here that also has those kind of dogs called texas wieners "all the way" yummy!!

The Hot Grill

I soooooo love them steamed for hours. It's how they were made for lunch for us in grade school. I would love to go back for a hot dog Monday. No fancy weiners either. 30 years later and thinking of them makes my mouth water.

I feel like Homer Simpson for doughnuts or Duff beer. Ummmm Nathans. LOL
We're having them tonight with chili/coney sauce, cheddar and onions. Heart burn city, here I come!

I feel like Homer Simpson for doughnuts or Duff beer. Ummmm Nathans. LOL
We're having them tonight with chili/coney sauce, cheddar and onions. Heart burn city, here I come!
*burp* excuse me. LOL burps and heart burn the sign of a good dog!! :LOL:

I know what you mean! LOL. I have a hard time finding good hot dogs anymore. The plain old Oscar/BallPark crap just doesn't do it for me anymore. I love hot dogs in the casing and if there's some spice all the better. We used to get Faulter's Old Fashioned hot dogs way back when and they were still connected in links.

How do I like my hot dogs the best? Well, they happen to be pan fried with lots of fried onions and you have one in the bun and eat the other one with your fingers at the same time. But the best part of it is eating them Saturday nights with my Dad again, just like we did when I was a kid.

And they say you can never go home again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom