"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

Ah thanks Addie...so I was doing it right, re. wrapping hard cheese in parchment/greaseproof paper and foil but I should have replaced the paper each time unwrapped. Must be an easier/less costly method.

To admin: I see that, despite my careful search, that there is already a similar thread to this. I don't mind if these posts can be amalgamated/incorporated into the original thread. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ah thanks Addie...so I was doing it right, re. wrapping hard cheese in parchment/greaseproof paper and foil but I should have replaced the paper each time unwrapped. Must be an easier/less costly method.

To admin: I see that, despite my careful search, that there is already a similar thread to this. I don't mind if these posts can be amalgamated/incorporated into the original thread. Thank you.
Replacing the moldy Parm cheese can be more expensive than wrapping it in new wrapping each time you open it. A roll of parchment paper or foil is a lot cheaper than a hunk of Parmesan cheese. .

Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Replacing the moldy Parm cheese can be more expensive than wrapping it in new wrapping each time you open it. A roll of parchment paper or foil is a lot cheaper than a hunk of Parmesan cheese. .
It never gets to that stage Addie, i.e. totally mouldy. With the greaseproof paper and foil method, it can start to show signs of initial mould on just one side. I will wrap it up more loosely - seems to be the solution.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I usually put my cheese in a plastic bag and clip it shut. My clips make it fairly air tight. I don't try to remove all the air from the bag. It works quite well. It usually takes a month or more to get mouldy. When it does, I cut off the mould and use a new bag.

I bought about a kilo of Parmigiano Regiano in March and it hasn't gotten mouldy. Of course I use it fairly frequently.

When I buy feta, the counter guy cuts off a piece and wraps it. I ask for some brine and he gives me a plastic tub of brine, already wrapped in cling wrap. I put the feta in one of my plastic containers with the brine and it stays good for months.

Soft cheeses like Brie or cream cheese are a whole different story.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Carrots stay fresh longer if they still have their green leaves attached.
Left over onion doesn't smell ( much ) if covered firmly in clingfilm and stored in the fridge.
Never leave mushrooms in plastic wrapping and never wash, just wipe with a damp cloth or they will absorb the water.
This Ok for starters on this thread??
I was under the impression that the carrot leaves drew moisture and nutrients out of the carrots. I was taught to cut them off, leaving an inch or two of stem, as soon as I got them home from the store.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was under the impression that the carrot leaves drew moisture and nutrients out of the carrots. I was taught to cut them off, leaving an inch or two of stem, as soon as I got them home from the store.
They do. The purpose of the carrot is to provide nutrients to the tops so they can produce flowers and then seeds for reproduction. So if you leave them on, that's what they will do
Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When I open a cheese, I do not take the whole wrapper off, I only remove as much as I need to access the cheese. I noticed that most mold growth starts where you have touched the cheese, so I don't touch what I will be storing.

I wipe the wrapper with vinegar before storing, also.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I buy carrots that still show some greeness where the leaves have been chopped off. They appear fresher than those whose tops are just a black circle.

Also with lemons and oranges - I seek out those with green calyx. Cherries with green stalks (rather than dark, thinner/dried stalks) ...a lot of this is common sense I feel.

Oh and I always go for fruit/veg from the box underneath the top box - for the freshest ones!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I buy carrots that still show some greeness where the leaves have been chopped off. They appear fresher than those whose tops are just a black circle.
I don't think the person who posted that was talking about a little nub of green, but the entire green tops.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think the person who posted that was talking about a little nub of green, but the entire green tops.
I'm pretty sure you are right. The word "leaves" was used.

Tags
food, tips