"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
Head Chef

Food Tips - better ways with them....

I checked this section and couldn't see this topic, so here goes. How to get the most out of your food, re. selecting, brief storage (before eating) etc.

Globe Artichoke
Once I get it home, I take a very thin slice off the stalk base, then place the artichoke in a sturdy cup with water to slightly cover the base of the stalk.

Celery
As above, but I cover the stalks with the upturned plastic bag.

Strawberries
Wash before hulling, since otherwise the water penetrates the fruit

Limes
I have recently read (and found to be true) that buying the yellow ones have more juice. Also, rolling the lime on a table will yield its juice more (same for lemons and oranges)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Carrots stay fresh longer if they still have their green leaves attached.
Left over onion doesn't smell ( much ) if covered firmly in clingfilm and stored in the fridge.
Never leave mushrooms in plastic wrapping and never wash, just wipe with a damp cloth or they will absorb the water.
This Ok for starters on this thread??

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Head Chef

Yes great! Thanks for contributing.

If someone has a successful way of storing cheese, i.e. without it going sweaty or mouldy, I would like to know. I have tried wrapping it in greaseproof paper and then in foil but it is not very effective. I read today that it needs some air (to not go mouldy) and that storing it in a loose plastic bag that has some kitchen paper towel in it, crumpled is good. Anyone tried this or have another method?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Carrots stay fresh longer if they still have their green leaves attached.
Left over onion doesn't smell ( much ) if covered firmly in clingfilm and stored in the fridge.
Never leave mushrooms in plastic wrapping and never wash, just wipe with a damp cloth or they will absorb the water.
This Ok for starters on this thread??
Try storing your piece of leftover onion in a wide mouthed jar with a tight fitting lid, it will last several days and the butter in the fridge will not taste like onion.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Master Chef

It's fine to wash mushrooms with water. In fact, for some kinds of mushrooms it's a huge mistake not to.

Here's Harold McGee on the topic:

"I was skeptical about the mushrooms-absorb-water idea and so did the soaking experiments with standard white mushrooms for “The Curious Cook” back in 1990. I’ve since tried a number of others, and if you make sure to shake the water out of the nooks, fresh mushrooms absorb little if any water. I’d also say that since they’re already around 90% water, a little more or less isn’t going to make much of a practical difference in the subsequent cooking....

So I wash my mushrooms with a clear conscience.

Harold"
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Master Chef

When the bunch of celery starts getting limp and tired looking I trim it up and stand the stalks in a large glass of water, in the fridge, overnight to restore its crispness.

I also rinse mushrooms under running water to remove the clumps of dirt and horse poop! Just a quick rinse, don't let them soak.

The most important tip I can offer is only buy what you can use, stop feeding the garbage pail!

Better that you should run out of something than have to toss it out!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I think this thread is pretty much the same: Tips for the Home and Kitchen...

I store cheese in zip-top plastic bags with the top of the bag folded over, not closed. Feta comes in a little plastic box with salt water in it, so I just keep it there.

jennyema, Alton Brown did the same experiment with the same result.

I don't wash strawberries until I'm about to use them - not because they will absorb water (they won't) but because if they're stored damp, they will mold more quickly.

Re: limes, we had a discussion on this recently. I microwave them for 15 seconds, roll them on the countertop, cut in half and use a fork to break the juice pockets open, then use a citrus squeezer to get as much juice as possible.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes great! Thanks for contributing.

If someone has a successful way of storing cheese, i.e. without it going sweaty or mouldy, I would like to know. I have tried wrapping it in greaseproof paper and then in foil but it is not very effective. I read today that it needs some air (to not go mouldy) and that storing it in a loose plastic bag that has some kitchen paper towel in it, crumpled is good. Anyone tried this or have another method?
The only cheese I have any experience with is real cheddar cheese, not processed cheese. If a chunk begins to mold I trim the mold and rub the cheese with a paper towel that has been soaked with apple cider vinegar.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It's fine to wash mushrooms with water. In fact, for some kinds of mushrooms it's a huge mistake not to.

Here's Harold McGee on the topic:

"I was skeptical about the mushrooms-absorb-water idea and so did the soaking experiments with standard white mushrooms for “The Curious Cook” back in 1990. I’ve since tried a number of others, and if you make sure to shake the water out of the nooks, fresh mushrooms absorb little if any water. I’d also say that since they’re already around 90% water, a little more or less isn’t going to make much of a practical difference in the subsequent cooking....

So I wash my mushrooms with a clear conscience.

Harold"
Jacques Pepin did the experiment right on his show. And with the scales. He weighed them before placing them in the water and then again after he lifted them out. And he let them sit in the water for a bit of time. The difference in the amount of water taken in by the mushrooms was so miniscule that it wouldn't even show on his scale. So I wash mine. Jacques told me it is all right. And if someone who has cooked for a President says to do it, then I will.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

11 Ways to Keep Cheese Fresh & Mold-Free for as Long as Possible in Your Fridge « Food Hacks

Easy to store right.

Tags
food, tips