FYI sous-vide cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fascinating articles. Thank so much for posting this. I am going to try that salmon recipe and once I play around a bit I will try this technique with chicken as well.

I have moved this to the Terms and Techniques forum.

Last edited:
If this works then it would be such a great way to prepare meals ahead of time. I am picturing placing veggies, potatoes, and meats with herbs and aromatics and then freezing. When it is time for a meal you can just pop a bag into water of the right temp. It might not be a quick meal, but all your prep work will already be done.

gwkr36a said:
That is going to be the main problem (experimenting) to get the recipes right.
Unless someone goes to cooking school in France. :)
...I hope you don't really think that!!

It sound like an experiment that couldn't go wrong!! It's just a different cooking technique - ingredients are the basically the same. Hey, didn't I say I was going to Sam's to look at their food savers???? BYE for now!

kitchenelf said:
...I hope you don't really think that!!

It sound like an experiment that couldn't go wrong!! It's just a different cooking technique - ingredients are the basically the same. Hey, didn't I say I was going to Sam's to look at their food savers???? BYE for now!

Well, just pass on those TNT recipes when you have them
and I will copy.

Thanks,
Nick .....:)

"Some chefs cook meats for hours in water as low as 54 degrees, where most of sous vide is done in water heated to near a simmer at 180-200 degrees."

#1. How can that be safe?
#2 (and more important) How can that actually cook food?

Although it does look like an interesting idea, maintaining temp of the water looks like it might be a pain.

Yeah I agree Jenny. If they cook the food at a temp of 54 degrees then how does it ever rise above that temp?

When I try it with chicken I will set the water temp at between 165-170. I have no idea how long it will take to cook chicken this way, but I won't let it go more than 3 hours, just in case.

jennyema said:
"Some chefs cook meats for hours in water as low as 54 degrees, where most of sous vide is done in water heated to near a simmer at 180-200 degrees."

#1. How can that be safe?
#2 (and more important) How can that actually cook food?

Although it does look like an interesting idea, maintaining temp of the water looks like it might be a pain.

Cook food to the appropriate temperature (145°F for roasts, steaks, and chops of beef, veal, and lamb; 160°F for pork, ground veal, and ground beef; 165°F for ground poultry; and 180°F for whole poultry). Use a thermometer to be sure! Foods are properly cooked only when they are heated long enough and at a high enough temperature to kill the harmful bacteria that cause illness.

AMEN gwkr

But how could you cook anything in 54 degree water?

Leaving the ziplocked food on your kitchen counter would cook it faster! :-p

Perhaps that was celcius? I have forgotten how to convert to F. What would that work out to?

Here is another post from someone using this method

I have done a lot of cooking sous-vide over the last several years. It is ideal for chicken breasts and most fish. A piece of fish or meat cooked sous-vide will be cooked to the same degree of doneness throughout. You can chill a chicken breast after cooking sous-vide and then crispen the skin before serving.

Food retains moisture and flavor and cannot overcook provided you retain the correct temperature. This last is the most difficult part. There is no crock-pot thatwill maintain a temperature of 140¡F. Professionals use a lab bath but these can run into
several hundred dollars. I use the super simmer burner on my Wolf range but, even with that, I
have to keep a thermometer with an alarm in the water to warn me if the temperature starts to
climb. 5¡F either way does not seem to be a problem although I prefer it to go lower rather than higher.

It is also a good idea to keep a thermometer in the food itself as an extrainsurance. One canput a small instant thermometer into the food prior to vacuuming, making sure that the dial
is visible through the plastic. Another solution is to sticK a small piece of weather stripping
over your Food-saver bag after sealing it. A thin probe can then be passed through weather
stripping into the food without destroying the vacuum

Thanks Caine. I know that formula, but I always forget if I am supposed to double it and add 32 or add 32 and then double it :wacko:

It seemed like maintaining water temp would be a pain when I first read this.

This may be a Sunday experiment when it is cooler and I am less busy ....

gwkr36a said:
I am thinking a candy/oil thermometer that attaches to the side of the pot would take
a lot of temp problems out of doing it.

Nick

Candy/Oil ... What do they start at? Higher than 140, right?

I was thinking meat thermo ... mine starts at 32 and goes to well 300, i think

My friend has one of those wired ones with an alarm. Was thinking of borrowing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom