"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Garlic cooked Julia's way, without the sprout, is sort of "buttery" tasting, IMO. With the sprout, it's sharper. Depends on what flavor you want, and what you're putting it in. In a robust spicy sauce, the sprout won't matter. In a creamy sauce, it probably will.

TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
good answer texasfrench. i always remove the tiny, hardened root end, but will leave the sprout if i want that really sharp garlic taste. usually in dishes or marinades that require raw garlic. i wouldn't necessarily call young sprouts bitter, but they are strong.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
Master Chef
i always remove both the root and stem ends ... even if they are not sprouting. Why? That's the way grandma taught me to do it!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I grow my own garlic, and never take out the green, in fact just before they`re ready to pick, they throw a large shoot up from the middle with a baby seed pod, we take these off and cook with those too (use like garlic chives) a few weeks later, the garlic`s ready to pick :)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:58 AM   #15
Executive Chef
If the dish calls for several cloves, I remove them, but if it is just a few, I don't.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
Master Chef
Originally Posted by ChefJune
If it's going to be a long cooked dish with lots of other "stuff" in it, I don't bother, but if garlic is a dominant flavor in the dish I always remove it. I think it adds a bitter overtone to the dish.

With really young, fresh garlic, it doesn't make a difference, but when the garlic comes from the grocery store, and some of those sprouts are big and woody, I get rid of 'em.

Just my $.02

My 2 cents, too.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
Master Chef
D'ya know, it is a little bitter. But, say what you will, I like that flavor. If I'm only cooking for us, I leave it in. If I'm expecting guests, I take it out.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
If when I smash the clove the sprout is easy to pick out then I will, but I do not go to any great lengths to get it out. I have never noticed a taste difference, but I also have never done a side by side comparison or even just tasted the sprout on its own.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #19
Head Chef
can someone give me the 411 on the sprouts?

I thought only old garlic sprouted?

when i shop for garlic i smash into a clove, if there is green sprout inside i dont buy it

i go to another market and pick some up, for one it looks disgusting, for another i guess I have been misinfomed .. i thought they sprouted when they got old
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
Senior Cook
One thing I noticed over the years of mincing garlic ahead of time, if you're planning on holding it for any duration, removing the green sprout will keep the garlic from discoloring.

One of my sous' used to leave the sprout in and always wondered why my batches lasted longer than his... it was the sprout, Sprout.

Order In, Food Out ~ It's NOT Magic!
Steve A is offline   Reply With Quote