"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Garlic, Do you remove the green stem?

Growing up watching Julia, Joc and Jeff Smith I always smash the garlic clove and remove the green stem, they said it added bittterness to the dish. Now all of the chefs just smash and cut it up whithout removing the gteen stem. Am just all school or is there a difference?

Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Sous Chef

How many mother sauces are there and what are they?

what is a sauce and what is a gravy?

What's the best way to shell a hard cooked egg?

Is it best to salt & pepper steak before or after cooking?

Is it best to remove the green stem from a clove a garlic?

All these questions are guaranteed to start a debate!! ;)

I weigh in on the side of using the green stem. Years ago Jacques Pepin said it was fine and I listen to whatever he has to say!! There will be as many cooks saying to discard it also. Maybe you should taste it and if it is objectionable to you, discard it. (hmmm, I'd never thot of that before.)

Old 09-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
If it's going to be a long cooked dish with lots of other "stuff" in it, I don't bother, but if garlic is a dominant flavor in the dish I always remove it. I think it adds a bitter overtone to the dish.

With really young, fresh garlic, it doesn't make a difference, but when the garlic comes from the grocery store, and some of those sprouts are big and woody, I get rid of 'em.

Just my $.02

That was another of those funny running debates Julia and Jacques had.... she said take em out, he'd pick up the sprouts and eat them!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If they are huge I take them out - but I don't know why I take them out - I've never actually tasted it to find out if it's bitter

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
If the green sprout is sticking out of the clove of garlic, I cut it off, but I ignore the part within the clove.

Variation on a theme: do you cut off the root end of the clove? I usually do.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I always just chop them up and use them with the cloves. I don't remember having them grown so big, though I just buy a few bulbs at a time and I use them up before any kind of "deformation" occurs...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Cook

i have seen jacques pepin and even his daughter mention that the green sprout isnt bitter... then a while back i believe it was Cooks magazine had a sampling of making some kind of cream sauce with the green sprouts, and a similar batch without and they concluded there was a bitter taste.... i would certainly like to see robert wolke (what einstein told his cook) conduct an experiment, however, this is a great question... i have seen italians remove it without knowing why and i personally remove it thinking of the bitterness but never done a side-by-side comparison... chefjune did point out that the older cloves are the ones that sprout, and so the pungency of the whole garlic clove itself (regardless of whether it has or hasnt a green sprout in it) will be much more prominent in an older clove versus a younger one.... i have read before that the great majority of garlic is grown on the us west coast therefore the recipes written in that area of the country need to be adjusted when trying them on the east coast, since, by the time the garlic has been picked and handled annd transported to the east coast, the pungency and stronger taste has been developed and can totally be overpowering... thomas keller seems to always simmer his garlic cloves in several changes of milk before using them to tame them down
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I've tasted dishes with and without the green sprout and it's definitely bitter. I always remove it unless I know, for a fact, that the garlic is very fresh and not much of a sprout has formed.

I feel about a hundred times stronger about the sprouts in onions. Those are, imo, vile tasting, and I go to great lengths to remove them.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
I've tasted dishes with and without the green sprout and it's definitely bitter. I always remove it unless I know, for a fact, that the garlic is very fresh and not much of a sprout has formed.

I feel about a hundred times stronger about the sprouts in onions. Those are, imo, vile tasting, and I go to great lengths to remove them.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Head Chef

If I see the sprout I take it out. Never really thought about why I did though.