Garnishing Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't have a specific dish in mind, just in general. I'm starting to become a huge fan of the "less is more" movement as well, mainly because I can't really deal with "more" :-p

Mike

That's true. I think my biggest culinary failures (at home, anyway) have been spawned by a desire to be overly complex. :) Simplicity works.

Mike

I'm personally against, and don't like using garnishes such as sprigs of rosemary or thyme because they're inedible for the most part. Also, I don't like using whole chives for the same reason, but that's another garnish that you see a lot of. Any garnish that I place on a plate is edible, and is also a part of the dish. For example, a tomato based sauce may utilize micro basil, a ginger/soy based sauce may utilize micro cilantro or micro shiso, or a Mediterranean flavored dish may utilize micro arugula. These herbs are a part of the whole dish and are meant to be consumed since they are complimentary flavors to the sauce or protein component.

Actually, the parsley was meant to be eaten. You'd eat it first if your plate just followed another, or you'd eat it last, if another dish was coming. Parsley is a palate cleanser. It was customary to chew on the leaves, keeping them attached to the stem, and discarding it, discretely, on the edge of your plate.

As for the rest of garnishing, I agree completely with the school that garnishes should be edible, and compliment the flavour of the plate.

Back
Top Bottom