Getting Lasagne warm in the middle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
...Where do you come by that information? Since I've seen it happen so often, with so many types of pans, I always assumed it was the tomatoes...

Robert Wolke, a professor of chemistry, has taken it upon himself to write a couple of books that explains or debunks popular cooking myths and situations.

What Einstein Told His Cook (1 & 2) address these issues. The holes in the aluminum answer came from there. Not being a chemist, I have to depend on others for help.

I'm surprised it happens for you with non-metallic pans. Maybe your marinana is made with plutonium!:D

Wouldn't you pay money to hear what Einstein did tell his cooks? Or Louie Pasteur, too, for that matter?:)

The marinara is roma tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil, a touch of sugar and S&P....made with love and affection for my family...

As for holes in the foil and "melting" foil when cooking my lasagna, I've never experienced either. My recipe is a very old family one - from Sicily - and we love it.

I bake mine in a deep pan, so the foil never has a chance to touch the ingredients. Guess that's why I've never had my cheese stick or had holes form in the foil.

And, BTW, lasagna should always sit for from 10 to 20 minutes to allow it to "set," which makes it easy to cut and keeps it from being weepy and runny.

VeraBlue - I was not "taking a swipe" at you at all. Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't automatically make it a "swipe". Sorry if the "plutonium" comment offended you. Geesh - get a sense of humor.

I have honestly never ever heard of aluminum foil melting into liquid on a dish. Perhaps it does happen in commercial ovens, but I don't think the majority of posters here are cooking in commercial ovens.

Has anyone else here besides VeraBlue have aluminum foil actually melt into liquid onto their food?

Thx!

Wow thanks for so many answers!

I only have ceramic pans so I will be making sure that my oven is correctly preheated, then covering with foil for maybe 50 mins so long as nothing is getting too brown and then uncovering and adding the cheese.

My last layer is always bechemel but I guess with the tin foil this won't start browning, right?

I think another problem was that I always make it the day before and I used to cook it for about 10 mins then refridgerate it and cook it properly the next day. I think I will make it, put it straight into the refridgerator and cook it all in one go the next day.

Being from the UK....what is marinara sauce?

Thanks!:)

I definitely would nix cooking it for 10 minutes & then refrigerating it. There really isn't any sort of point to that. Either put it together & refrigerate it to bake the next day, or - from my point of view - even better, make & bake it, then refrigerate it & reheat it the next day.

As far as "Marinara Sauce", that is really just seasoned tomato sauce - just tomato sauce seasoned with minced onions, garlic, peppers (sometimes), oregano, etc. It's usually a smooth rather than chunky sauce. There are a lot of different personal recipes for it, but the basic ingredients remain the same.

As a home cook only, over the years I have found that any tomato base dish made the night before eat holes in a aluminum foil coverings, doesn't matter whether glass or metal, only wax paper or plastic wrap coverings survive.

BreezyCooking said:
I have honestly never ever heard of aluminum foil melting into liquid on a dish. Perhaps it does happen in commercial ovens, but I don't think the majority of posters here are cooking in commercial ovens.

Has anyone else here besides VeraBlue have aluminum foil actually melt into liquid onto their food?

I have not had this happen while cooking--I don't think I've ever put alum. foil on tom. sauce in the oven--but I have learned the hard way not to put foil on tomato based foods for storage. One night in the fridge and nasty discoloration of foil and food, as well as holes in the foil.

Elf said:
As a home cook only, over the years I have found that any tomato base dish made the night before eat holes in a aluminum foil coverings, doesn't matter whether glass or metal, only wax paper or plastic wrap coverings survive.

Same here. I've also had that happen with a few other things...ham salad, for instance.

Like Katie, my lasagna pan is deep enough to cover with foil without it touchiing the lasagna.

If you use pyrex or ceramic, you can (heaven forbid!) "cheat" and ... well, I hate to admit it, if it is browned and not hot in the middle ...... NUKE IT! It isn't a cardinal sin! (Venial, maybe!)

amber said:
Hi and welcome Clairebear. I cook it with foil for approx. 30 minutes and then remove the foil to brown slightly, that should get the inside hot for you.

Same here, I cook mine in a disposable foil lasagna pan for 30 minutes covered. then remove the foil, add an additional lb. of shredded mozzerella on top of the naked lasagna and cook for about 10 minutes.

All great input. Here is mine: Cook your pasta al dente. Use a stainless steel pan. Place little tomato sauce between layers And make alternate layers of the ricotta mix on one and a cheese layer following. This will give you most of the cheese within the lasagna.

The top layer "little cheese". Cover with release foil. And cook for 50 minutes covered. Remove the release foil and let the top layer of cheese melt. Let stand before cutting. If there are any leftovers.....cut into individual servings and wrap in plastic wrap and then place in freezer. Remove plastic wrap, place on a plate cover and heat (this will take about 10 minutes). I have a large plastic cover I use. After the time alloted (depending on size of serving) test with a fork in the center). A little warmed sauce and it tastes like you just made it.

petey said:
Same here, I cook mine in a disposable foil lasagna pan for 30 minutes covered. then remove the foil, add an additional lb. of shredded mozzerella on top of the naked lasagna and cook for about 10 minutes.

P.S. I never Boil the pasta . It goes sstraight from the box to the lasagna pan.

They make special pasta that does Not need to be boiled. Ordinary pasta
Does need boiling. The pasta package will give EXCELLENT directions.

Aria said:
They make special pasta that does Not need to be boiled. Ordinary pasta
Does need boiling. The pasta package will give EXCELLENT directions.

Do you know the difference between regular pasta and no boil pasta?
The price:cool:

Barilla makes a good one. Look on the package for words like "No Boil" -- they should be prominent. If they don't say it, you have to boil.

Claire said:
Barilla makes a good one. Look on the package for words like "No Boil" -- they should be prominent. If they don't say it, you have to boil.

Nope, both macaroni are the same. Only difference in the two are the price. Whether youre cooking baked ziti or lasagna there is no need to boil the pasta first. I guess they figure that as long as there's someone willing to pay more for the box that says "No Boil" there's money to be made $$$$$

Hmmm. I stand corrected. The only time I tried it I wound up with rubber in the middle and edges so crunchy they'd break your teeth. But I only make lasagna every few years, so .... haven't perfected it.

Back
Top Bottom