Getting Lasagne warm in the middle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clairebear

Assistant Cook
:chef:Hi, 1st post woo-hoo!

I love making Lasagne and the recipe I use is delicious but it never seems piping hot in the middle. Normal I cook it uncovered for about 1hr by which time the top is brown but in the middle it's only just hot. I like it piping hot!

Should I be covering it with tin foil and only taking it off for the last few minutes?
Thanks for all your help!

Yes, cover it in the beginning but be careful the foil doesn't

stick to the cheese. I usually save most of the cheese for the top and put it on when I uncover the pan.

I do some of my rather dense casseroles (like lasagna) a bit different than some. I started this so as not to heat up the kitchen so much when the weather is hot. After I prepare the casserole for baking, I put it in the microwave for about 7 to 9 minutes, long enough to really start the cooking, then finish with about 10 to 15 minutes (definite time depends on casserole) in the oven at whatever temp the recipe states. You cannot tell it wasn't cooked the entire time in the oven, but with lots less time and heat. Also, it IS piping hot in the center and cooked well.

heavy metal pan?? le creuset, mario batali, etc...raidates heat insid ethe dish better than glass or other materials. this can really help...

also cover for 1/2 the time , add the topping cheese for the 2nd half. that may help too.

I'm with Robo on this one - a nice heavy pan really helps. Cover first for about 20 - 30 minutes then be sure your cheese gets at least 30 minute without a "lid" - the cheese won't really melt and get bubbly sooner than that. If it appears to still be too watery or cheese not cooked enough cook more, checking every 5 - 7 minutes.

I cover mine tightly with foil for 50 minutes, then uncover it for the remaining 10 or however long it takes for the top to to brown a little. I then remove it from the oven & let it rest for about 10 minutes. It's always searingly hot all the way through.

Andy M. said:
And make sure you let it rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Truly, this rest period is the secret to an evenly cooked casserole. It won't get cold in that half hour, either. :)

Do "they" still make the non-stick foil? I have used it in the past and it does work. I just haven't bought any in quite awhile.

kitchenelf said:
Do "they" still make the non-stick foil? I have used it in the past and it does work. I just haven't bought any in quite awhile.

Yes, it's still around. It's called Reynold's "Release" and I always have a roll of it in my kitchen. It's great for dishes such as lasagna. The cheese never sticks.
:chef:

Andy M. said:
And make sure you let it rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.

OK, I don't have the patience it takes for that. I admire those of you who do! Just another vote for covering your lasagna for part of the time and uncovered the rest. Ditto the heavy pan. Makes a WORLD of difference.

the rested lasagna cuts evenly without oozing all over the place. guests don't have third degree burns on their toungues or roofs of their mouths, etc. and the rest period is another reason I like an enameled cast iron lasagna pan ... hold the heat.

I know all about that stuff Robo...I am just too much of a lasagna addict to wait that long. Oozing cheese...mmmmmmmmmmmm! Just call me Garfield.

Getting your Lasagne warm in the middle shouldn't be a problem. I usually use a glass pyrex dish and cover it with foil for about 50 minutes and then uncover it for the remaining 10 minutes.

I usually grease the pan a lot so it is earier to clean. Reynolds makes a non stick foil called "Release" and the cheese doesn't stick.

Depending on the size of your pan, an hour may not be enough, especially since your cheese is cold (or should be:chef:).

Cover the lasagna for the first hour. Marinara is acidic and will eat through your foil, leaving unsightly liquid foil on your lasagna. Leave the cheese off till you uncover.

After you make the last layer and spread the marinara on top, put either a piece of waxed paper, parchment paper, or plastic wrap (it will not melt, I promise!) on the top of the pasta/sauce. Don't let the edges hang over, just tuck them into the corners. Then cover with foil and bake in a preheated (this is important) oven for an hour. Uncover, and sprinkle with cheese, and then bake another 20 minutes or till the cheese is melted and golden.

For ten bucks you can invest in an instant read thermometer....you lasagna should be 145. Temp in the middle. Then, let it rest on the counter for 20 minutes- 30 minutes before cutting.

When you wrap any leftovers, let it cool completely before covering it. (that doesn't mean leave it on the counter till it cools, please refrigerate) Then, recover the same way you baked, to keep it moist but foil free.

VB, you should only have a problem with the sauce eating holes in the aluminum foil if you are using a metal pan other than aluminum. In the presence of an acidic environment, the contact of the two different metals in the presence of an acid generates a mild electric current that eats the foil. If you are using a non-metallic pan, foil on the lasagna won't be a problem.

In a restaurant envoironment, where most of the baking pans are stainless, you are correct to recommend an insulating layer between the foil and the food.

"Cover the lasagna for the first hour. Marinara is acidic and will eat through your foil, leaving unsightly liquid foil on your lasagna."

No offense VeraBlue, but what are you cooking your lasagna with - Plutonium? :LOL:

In the 30+ years I've been making lasagna & other baked pasta dishes using both homemade & commercial jarred marinara sauce, I have never EVER ended up with "liquid" aluminum foil. In fact, even using a metal pan I've never had aluminum foil melt. Your experience is definitely a first, & I doubt commonplace.

Now as far as your advice to bake lasagna covered with plastic wrap - that I've definitely had melt at outrageously low temps & will NEVER use it in an oven - microwave or regular anymore.

Andy M. said:
VB, you should only have a problem with the sauce eating holes in the aluminum foil if you are using a metal pan other than aluminum. In the presence of an acidic environment, the contact of the two different metals in the presence of an acid generates a mild electric current that eats the foil. If you are using a non-metallic pan, foil on the lasagna won't be a problem.

In a restaurant envoironment, where most of the baking pans are stainless, you are correct to recommend an insulating layer between the foil and the food.

Andy, that happens at home too...with a ceramic lasagna pan. Maybe I've just got just the touch to make radioactive marinara?:ohmy: Your statement is so interesting, though. Where do you come by that information? Since I've seen it happen so often, with so many types of pans, I always assumed it was the tomatoes...

BreezyCooking said:
"Cover the lasagna for the first hour. Marinara is acidic and will eat through your foil, leaving unsightly liquid foil on your lasagna."

No offense VeraBlue, but what are you cooking your lasagna with - Plutonium? :LOL:

In the 30+ years I've been making lasagna & other baked pasta dishes using both homemade & commercial jarred marinara sauce, I have never EVER ended up with "liquid" aluminum foil. In fact, even using a metal pan I've never had aluminum foil melt. Your experience is definitely a first, & I doubt commonplace.

Now as far as your advice to bake lasagna covered with plastic wrap - that I've definitely had melt at outrageously low temps & will NEVER use it in an oven - microwave or regular anymore.

As I said, don't let it hang over and make sure it's all covered with the foil. It never melts, at temps of upwards of 450. It's all in the way things are handled, breezy.

As for foil melting onto marinara, sure, it's commonplace, especially when people cook professionally. We see it all the time. Maybe Andy has something with his metal on metal statement.

As far as cooking with plutonium...well, breezy, I could give you my recipes, but I don't really think you're all that interested in having that conversation. This just seemed like another opportunity for you to take a swipe at me. Still don't know why...never really did anything to you that I'm aware of. Maybe you just don't like me.:question:

clairebear said:
:chef:Hi, 1st post woo-hoo!

I love making Lasagne and the recipe I use is delicious but it never seems piping hot in the middle. Normal I cook it uncovered for about 1hr by which time the top is brown but in the middle it's only just hot. I like it piping hot!

Should I be covering it with tin foil and only taking it off for the last few minutes?
Thanks for all your help!

Hi and welcome Clairebear. I cook it with foil for approx. 30 minutes and then remove the foil to brown slightly, that should get the inside hot for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom