"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

irish butter is a thing to behold, although that was in ireland. i've had it imported here in the u.s. and it was average. i guess it's all about freshness like any dairy.

if you're looking for a compund butter, try fresh basil and dill. goes great on broiled fish like steelhead or salmon.

for steak, i would add sundried tomatoes, a bit of tomato paste, ground celery seed, and just a pinch of horseradish.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Buck.......

That sounds like the Bloody Mary CB that was done on Guy v. Rachael, Sunday on FN.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Wine Guy

Personally, if it were me, I would just enjoy the flavor of the butter itself. You paid more for a butter that tastes like... well, butter. Why dilute the flavor with anything at all? Just enjoy it straight up on bread, or add a dab to veggies or eggs. I would treat it more as a condiment than a cooking butter.

By the way, you can buy butter made in the US that's virtually the same. Look for something called "pasture butter". I buy it in co-op stores, but I've seen it in other grocery stores like Whole Foods as well. The problem is that it's seasonal, usually only made May through September.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Master Chef

I agree with Steve, let the butter be the star. I enjoy the slightly sour tang that imported butter has. If you whip a little sour cream into room temperature grocery store butter and then chill it you can come close or let the grocery store butter "mature" on the counter before using it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never seen anything but "store" butter where I shop...thanks for the tip re: sour cream. I think I'll give that a try the next time I make an herb butter...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I've never seen anything but "store" butter where I shop...thanks for the tip re: sour cream. I think I'll give that a try the next time I make an herb butter...
Buy some Lactantia My Country (cultured) or some of the organic stuff from Quebec. We're spoiled with good butter here.

In 2005 I went to Denmark and stayed at my mum's place with my mum and sister. My sister had a few small packets of French butter from the airplane which she was raving about. She got really mad at me when I said, it's good, but no big deal. A few days later, after eating Danish butter, she apologized. She agreed with me. The French butter was good, but not fabulous, certainly not compared with the Danish butter. She lives in Orange County, Calif.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
Buck.......

That sounds like the Bloody Mary CB that was done on Guy v. Rachael, Sunday on FN.
that's exactly where i got the idea from. i tried making it as i love compound butters, and it's fantastic! my new go to compound butter.
can't wait to get outside to grill some nice ribeyes.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that's exactly where i got the idea from. i tried making it as i love compound butters, and it's fantastic! my new go to compound butter.
can't wait to get outside to grill some nice ribeyes.
Oh OH blue cheese compound butter on grilled steak!! Invite me over PLEASE!!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Buy some Lactantia My Country (cultured) or some of the organic stuff from Quebec. We're spoiled with good butter here.

In 2005 I went to Denmark and stayed at my mum's place with my mum and sister. My sister had a few small packets of French butter from the airplane which she was raving about. She got really mad at me when I said, it's good, but no big deal. A few days later, after eating Danish butter, she apologized. She agreed with me. The French butter was good, but not fabulous, certainly not compared with the Danish butter. She lives in Orange County, Calif.
I think I'm going to have to go on a "foodie trip" to Montreal this summer...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Oh OH blue cheese compound butter on grilled steak!! Invite me over PLEASE!!
of course you're welcome anytime, mofet. we really should get our families together this summer for a bbq.