Giving Out Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I happen to really like cheesecake, specifically I like a nonbaked one best (though baked is good too).

Since the big ingredient in cheesecake is cream cheese it stands to reason one wants to use the best you can get. I have been using Philly mostly, and while I like it I figure there is better.

I have a bagel place around the corner that I just love, one reason is the bagels are just awesome but also they use really good cream cheese. While I was in the other day I asked what brand. It is Smithfield Amish style cream cheese. I looked online and I can't find it retail, only in large quantities (like 30 pounds at a go). I asked the owner how much for a box (3 pounds) and he gave me a good price, even though he said he was making a small amount on the sale, and the price was better than Philly at the grocery store. SOLD!

He made a funny comment about the sale being dependent upon getting a slice.

I made the cheesecake and it really was much better than the previous ones. I have always believed you might not make good food with good ingredients but you won't make it with bad ingredients.

I took the nice man his slice of cheese cake yesterday and made sure there was enough for him to share with his wife. I went back today to get my morning bagel and after being told how much she liked it she asked if she could have the recipe.

It really is a nice feeling when people want to know how you made something because they enjoyed it so much. I did find it interesting that she was worried it was a secret recipe and might not want to share it. There's nothing secret about it and I see no reason (other than commercial secrets) to not share a good recipe with other people.

Just a nice feeling at breakfast time. :)

That is a great feeling. You are getting confirmation form an independent source that what you do is really good!

I always share recipes when asked. In your case, I'd give them the recipe with the proviso that if they make it to sell for a profit, they have to pay you.

Hadn't really thought of that. The wife said she used to make cheese cake for everything, it was what she was known for in the social circles. I think she is more into having another good recipe and way of making them, and not selling them. It is a bagel shop and really, just a bagel shop. Its all they do and they do it really well.

It is nice to have someone with no real vested interest confirming you have good taste though. Sometimes you wonder if family tells you it is good just so you keep cooking and they don't have to. ;)

It is nice to have someone with no real vested interest confirming you have good taste though. Sometimes you wonder if family tells you it is good just so you keep cooking and they don't have to. ;)

How true that is! I know for a fact, in my family there are many who hate to cook and depend on me for meals when we all get together. I spend my entire vacation rushing from meal to meal...cooking it that is. My Dad even waited for me to fix oatmeal.

Nice to know about the Smithfield Amish Cream Cheese, I'll be looking for an outlet...I love making cheesecake.

I love cheesecake but theres nothing better than a freshly baked bagel mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have always credit the people who gave me a recipe,
If you willing to give a recipe out you deserve the credit.

Years ago, I was working at family own busines, and we had a party, I made my peaches and cream cheese cake, (which I think I have already posted on here. If not will gladly do it) Everyone loved it and there wasn't a crumb left.
My bosses wife asked for the recipe and I brought to her the next work day. Months later during a summer clambake where we all attended thank to the boss. were sitting eating , this couple came up and spoke to the bosses wife complimenting her on the dessert she brought to thier function. The lady asked for the recipe, she stated oh I can't --the family would kill me if i gave it out the family speciality.
The women understood and then said that was the best cheescake, what was it call peaches and cream. She said yes. I didn't say a thing and the boss's wife never asked me for a recipe again. LOL She probably figure i wouldn't give her the full recipe, but I would never do that even for what she did. That was a lesson I learned early when given a recipe give credit where credit is do!!!!!

That is a great feeling. You are getting confirmation form an independent source that what you do is really good!

I always share recipes when asked. In your case, I'd give them the recipe with the proviso that if they make it to sell for a profit, they have to pay you.

I agree with both statements above. We have a carry-in every month at work and it feels good when people don't just say the food I bring is yummy, but that they actually want the recipe.

And yeah, my first thought was... these people already have a venue to sell whatever they want. They could be positioning themselves to sell some cheesecakes for carry-out. Something to think about for sure!

Oh... and are you going to share the cheesecake recipe here? :mrgreen:

Oh I don't know. You might right off and turn a profit with your new "family" secret recipe that was handed down from the dawn of time. ;)

Kinda simple:

Crust

1 1/2C Graham cracker cumbs.
1/3C packed light brown sugar
1/2TPS Siagon Cinnamon
1/3C Melted butter.

Combine it all, mix well and put in the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan. Chill while making the filling.

Filling

1.5# Cream Cheese softened
1TBSish fresh lemon juice
1P heavy whipping cream
1/2C Sugar
1Tps Vanilla Extract (the real stuff)

Put cream cheese and lemon juice in a bowl and beat with the hand mixer for a bit to get it moving,

Add about 3/4 of the cream and beat. If it is too stiff then add more but I would not go over the pint.

Add sugar and vanilla and mix.

You should have to scoop it from the bowl to the pan. If it pours slowly you might not be happy, if it pours easily you will not be happy.

I leave this to chill in the refrigerator for several hours. Typically I make this late the night before and have it after dinner, but it only really needs about 5 hours or so. If it is loose it will not stay in place when you remove the pan, it becomes bowl cheesecake at that point.

Topping
8oz sour Cream
1TBS sugar.

Once the cheese cake is out of the pan mix this and spread a layer on top. You can make it thicker or thinner subject to taste.

I did add some canned bing cherries (not a pie filling) to the top. I also put about a TBS of the cherry syrup in the topping. It really only effected the color (kinda made it pink)

There you have it. Enjoy and if anyone asks for the recipe just tell em some guy on the Internet gave it to ya.

This interesting. Made me think of two things. Maybe I should start new thread.

The first thing was this one person who made the best cookies I ever tasted, but when I asked her for recipe she would not give it to me period. I've tried and tried and tried but to no avail. And she is actually not the only one like that. I bet there are a lot of people like that. Me I love give out my recipes, the only problem I do not always have one writen down.

The second thing was cooking good food with good ingedients. I think i willl start new thread about that.

I have had people be very reluctant or flat out refuse to give me a recipe. Like I said I understand a trade secret (I wouldn't ask for the bagel recipe at the bagel place) but if you make a great pie there shouldn't need to be any mystery. When I told the lady at the bagel place how to make the cheesecake she said "that's it?" with a surprised look on her face. Yep.. that's it. It doesn't have to be alchemy to be good.

I made this cheesecake again tonight and used fresh orange juice instead of the fresh lemon juice. Ok that was a brilliant move, very nice indeed.

I made this cheesecake again tonight and used fresh orange juice instead of the fresh lemon juice. Ok that was a brilliant move, very nice indeed.

Ohh, try raspberry preserves instead of the citrus...or any berry. Makes wonderul changes in cheesecake.:pig:

The acid helps set up the cream cheese... but some some berry on top would sure be a nice ticket.

Frankz: Thanks for the nice recipe, someday soon will try it, love cheesecake an this one sounds delicious!!
And, yes, there are people very reluctant to give "their" recipes, and give them with the wrong measures or missing some ingredients.....

Back in high school a girl I was dating and I had a spaghetti sauce cook off.
Hers was better, I had to admit! (not just because I was dating her, either!)
She absolutely refused to give me the recipe, no matter how much I begged or schemed.

Fast forward to 25 years later, and we have re-connected on Facebook.
She STILL won't give me the recipe!!!!!

I don't understand anyone refusing to give a recipe. It's a stingy way to be..And when they leave out an ingredient or tell you something wrong, it makes me wonder how their other dealings in life are.
.When someone asks me it makes me feel special..I gladly give the recipe.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom