"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Master Chef

Gourmet

Once upon a time in a land far away (back in maybe 1960) the word "Gourmet" on something ment something ... probably more expensive ingredients (perhaps shallots instead of dried yellow onion flakes), prepared with a little more care, "should" taste a little better than the average Heinz bottled stuff sitting beside it on the shelf for 50-cents less ...

Today, when I see "Gourmet" on a label I just dismiss it as an overused term for marketing "hype". Really, when you pick up a package of "Gourmet Beef Jerky" and a pack of "regular beef jerky" that doesn't claim to be "gourmet" ... and they have the same ingredient listed .... does "Gourmet" really mean anything anymore?

Old 01-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
For me Gourmet on a label of something that costs 75c is the same as reading champaign on the label of something domestically produced.

It means run away.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

Michael in FtW, wanna gag, go down the pet food aisle and see how may gourmet pet food items there are. I agree, the word is grossly over cooked
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Gourmet has just become another sales gimmick.

Society today tends to overuse words that have become popular just to grab your attention and your money. I chuckle when I see "Contains no fat or cholesterol" on a jar of apricot preserves! How about a low carb claim on a pound of bacon!?!?

As long as "Gourmet!" sells, It will be used.

Now I think I'll go get a low sodium, low carb, fat free, cholesterol free glass of water.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #5

Must wryly agree with MiFW on the "gourmet" thing...

I suppose that you might make a point of trying out the one that states it is made for "gourmands", or to their tastes, as doubtless the copywriters haven't yet picked up on that word!

Anyways, another small point of "advice", from someone who has done a great deal of "town to town" commercial travel..."Never eat at a restaurant called "Mom's", or "Eats" "...

The single exception, in many years, is "Mom's" Restaurant in New Orleans,...walking distance from the Sheraton, old chrome mushroom stools, 40's/50's decor, signed photo's from Patton, Bogart, etc., massive deep fryers, zinc trimmed "kitchen style" tables of the 50's...

On the other hand, fresh baguettes, shrimp, or oyster, or beef "hoagies, to die for reasonably priced...open late at night, and back "up" for the morning, with "biscuits" and "gravy", the "gravy" being made from the detrious if what's "fished out" of the deep fryers from the day before...

Quite a "revelation" for a prairie raised Canuck from Saskatoon! Thankfully, for my cardiac health, I only rarely get to go there...

Lifter
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Certified Executive Chef

another dumb one is gourmet WATER???
Old 01-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

All I can think of when reading this thread is another thankfully dead fad.

Oat bran.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
another dumb one is gourmet WATER???
I hear you . . . on the other hand, considering the taste of what comes out of the water faucets in this town, I can cut the "gourmet" boys a little slack . . . maybe quite a lot of slack, in fact.

Best water I've ever drunk was from the well at my folks' place in rural Arkansas. The stuff was delicious. Took me a month to re-adjust every time I went there.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

My box of Morton's Kosher Salt says on it "Great for gourmet cooking." It sure is a sales gimmick.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Master Chef

I'm a word junkie as well as a food addict. Gourmet: A connoisseur of fine food and drink. According to the dictionary (American Heritage), it is often used as an adjective, but really should be a noun. So they're all wrong!!! But yes, I think that the word is used to connotate anything Gramma didn't cook, and if you aren't white-bread American, then what Gramma made is probably Gourmet now!!! It's just a sales pitch.