Grating lemon zest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have a microplane -- having used both it and the dedicated citrus ester I mentioned above, I much prefer the results I get with the latter.
I use the latter also. :) - but mostly for garnishes. Using the scoring edge makes for very pretty citrus slices. I do like the very fine pieces of outer rind that the microplane yields. Guess it depends on how you're using the zest.

I use the latter also. :) - but mostly for garnishes. Using the scoring edge makes for very pretty citrus slices. I do like the very fine pieces of outer rind that the microplane yields. Guess it depends on how you're using the zest.
Generally when a recipe calls for lemon zest, it means the small shavings you get from a microplane. No one wants a big chunk of lemon rind in their lemon pie. The so called citrus zester makes nice garnishes but I wouldn't want to eat something that it was used on.

Generally when a recipe calls for lemon zest, it means the small shavings you get from a microplane. No one wants a big chunk of lemon rind in their lemon pie. The so called citrus zester makes nice garnishes but I wouldn't want to eat something that it was used on.
Agreed. What I use to zest depends a lot on what I'm using the zest for. Something like a gremolata, I want bigger pieces. The Microplane makes very fine shavings, which are better in things like puddings and pies.

BTW, I generally do mince the bigger chunks made with the lemon zester.

BTW2: a potato peeler can do a decent job of getting the zest off the lemon without getting much pith. No one wants pith in their pie!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom