"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #21
Master Chef
First of all, you're right about the fresh eggs, but usually by the time you buy them from the grocery store, they're ready.

Now, here's a hint I heard long ago, and it really helps. After your eggs have cooled in the cold water, tap each on the counter lightly, all around, and give it a gentle squeeze in your hand. Then start peeling at the SMALL END. Press in lightly, being sure to get ahold of the inner membrane, slip your thumb underneath, and slide the shell off.

Sorry to reiterate, but when it comes to hard-boiled eggs, I like mine done, and when I've tried doing them the recommended way, the centers are always soft. I'll live with the green ring.
I put them in a pan of enough cold water to cover and turn the burner on high. When they come to a boil, I set the timer for 15 minutes. When they're done, I dump the boiling off, rinse the eggs in cold water a bit, then let stand at least 30 minutes (usually an hour) in the cold water.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #22
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by C.Whalen
I was told that a sure fire way to have hard boiled eggs peel easily is to dunk them in very chilled water immediately after draining the boiled water off them and continue to chill in the fridge for a couple of more hours. I have done this, I have been told to boil them in salted water to make them peel easily, I have done this. I have been told that fresh eggs won't peel evenly, I buy mine at the grocery store so they certainly are not farm fresh, and they still peel unevenly. If anyone can give me a hint as to why they peel in layers I would love to know what I am doing wrong.
I have the solution.
Make devilled Poached Eggs!!

( Sorry, couldn't resist!)

cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #23
Master Chef
Originally Posted by cliveb
I have the solution.
Make devilled Poached Eggs!!

( Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Actually, Cliveb, I've tried that, using my poaching pan. The problem with this method is that the yolk settles to the cup bottom leaving you with the thinnest membrane of white to hold the filling. That membrane tears very easily and allows the filling to leak out of the otherwise beautiful looking deviled egg. But I do love paoched eggs, with a bit of butter in the cup, and steamed to perfection (that would be runny yolk and firm whites).
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #24
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I buy organic, local eggs. The shelf life is one week.
Why? By whose standards?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #25
Sous Chef
Hard boiled eggs

I leave the eggs at room temperature for 4-6 hours on countertop. Place in warm tap water in saucepan after lightly tapping the large end of each egg or penetrating the large end of the eggs with a small needle right before putting in warm water. Sprinkle tiny amount of salt in water. Bring water to simmer/light boil and cover with lid, turn off heat, set timer for 13-16 minutes. When removing, pour off hot water, run cool water over, lightly tap large ends of eggs and return to water for about 10 min. they seem to peel easily for me and no green ring. I guess it just depends on how involved you want to be in boiling an egg : 0 )
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #26
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Why? By whose standards?
Why? Cos that's what the producer states on his cartons. And HIS standards, presumably.

You sometimes have a very rude way of framing questions. Not direct, rude.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #27
Senior Cook
Regarding shelf life of eggs (to Ishbel)

ARS food technologists Mike Musgrove and Deana Jones with the agency's Poultry Processing and Meat Quality Research Unit tested the quality and functionality of table eggs during a 10-week storage time, long beyond the current 30-day industry standard for storing eggs on the store shelf. Properly refrigerated and handled, eggs are considered safe for consumption for four to five weeks beyond the sell-by date.

Over time, eggs can lose their ability to fluff up an angel food cake or make creamy mayonnaise, but according to Jones, they didn't show a marked decrease in quality during the 10-week test period.

read more:

tdejarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #28
Head Chef
My son had an egg salad sandwich at a friend's house and wanted me to make him some egg salad. I had not made it in years. After boiling my eggs, I tried to mash them up and they would not. Maybe they were over done. My egg salad is awful. How can I make a good egg salad for him?
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #29
Executive Chef
I haven't read this entire thread so don't know if I'm repeating info or not. I put my eggs in a saucepan - single layer, add water to cover and bring to a boil. I immediately cover them and remove from heat. After 15 minutes I put them in cold water and leave a few minutes. They usually peel very well. The whites will be tender and yolks with no discoloration and they blend well to make good egg salad. Hope this helps. My kids enjoyed egg salad when they were growing up and we had it enough that I'm not that crazy about it anymore. I do like devilled eggs a lot, though.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
Hey StirBlue. When you say "mash them up" do you mean the whole eggs or just the yolks? For egg salad, you should halve the eggs and tip out the yolks. The yolks are then mashed into the mayo, etc. The whites are diced (I like a 1/4 inch dice), not mashed. Maybe that's what you're doing, but I wanted to give you a "head's up" in case not. And if that is what you're doing, yolks that won't mash are underdone, not overdone.

PBear42 is offline   Reply With Quote