"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Angry Hard Boiled Eggs Peel In Layers

I was told that a sure fire way to have hard boiled eggs peel easily is to dunk them in very chilled water immediately after draining the boiled water off them and continue to chill in the fridge for a couple of more hours. I have done this, I have been told to boil them in salted water to make them peel easily, I have done this. I have been told that fresh eggs won't peel evenly, I buy mine at the grocery store so they certainly are not farm fresh, and they still peel unevenly. If anyone can give me a hint as to why they peel in layers I would love to know what I am doing wrong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1201Lukka0002.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2213  

Pass me a hanky, I'll just wipe the foam from that dog's mouth.
C.Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef
I just put mine a in bowl of water (not chilled), leave them there for about 5 minutes, then change the water again, and then peel them. I've seem many hard boiled eggs look as the pic you have show above and so what? They are still good to eat.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
We had this discussion a while ago. Read it here.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
My main concern amber is that I wouldn't even consider presenting eggs that look like that when I make deviled eggs.
Pass me a hanky, I'll just wipe the foam from that dog's mouth.
C.Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Head Chef
One of the things we learned in the cooking class I took was that you don't want fresh eggs if you need to peel them after hard boiling them. Buy them at least a week ahead of time. As they age, the membrane bonding the white to the shell starts to naturally break down, making for easy peeling.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
C. Whalen, after I purchase my eggs at the grocery store, I usually wait a week before I boil them for deviled eggs, etc. I've never had a problem peeling them. The shells always come off in, sometimes, one piece or in nice clean pieces.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Head Chef
Okay, here is a thought from an untrained cook. After boiling your eggs to the appropriate donenes, move immediately to ice water. After a a minute or so the shell separates from the white, making shelling relatively easy.
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
This one frustrated me for years. Tried several methods. Most times, they came out fine, but not reliably enough for my tastes. Finally, I worked out one that almost always works. Even with fresh eggs.

Cover with cool tap water; let stand one hour. Bring to a boil; continue to cook at a gentle boil for seven minutes. Take off heat, cover and let stand five minutes. Run cool tap water in the pan until the water is cool, about five minutes; let stand at least twenty minutes. One at a time, rap each egg all over with the back of a spoon, then peel.

I have to say, finally, perfect hard-cooked eggs. Firm whites (peel cleanly), crumbly yolks and no green ring.
PBear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Try adding a spoonful of vinegar to the boiling water when fresh eggs are used. It might do the trick.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 AM   #10
Head Chef
CW, I haver no idea. And I understand your frustration.

Were I a hermit, would never hard boil the things, ich, poo, spit (love eggs, just cannot stand them hard boiled).

But this is not a perfect world and I will make eggs for others, particularly devilled eggs.

Have read the other posts and the thread Andy so kindly posted. And have looked at many ways of boiling eggs.

But most of the time am not particularly fussy about the eggs I use or the technique of cooking them (cannot abide the smell of the things and really do not like to make them, double blech). And even with all my often slothful ways of carrying out the procedure, have never had a particular problem with the peeling part (the darned green iron stain, yep, but peeling, no). And have lived all over the US, so it is not just that I am getting a particular kind of egg.

My point, and I hate to get to one, is that my guess is it is not your technique. Although I would try all of the suggestions listed.

If none of them work would suggest you ask your family, friends and neighbors.

Maybe it is a local thing, or the eggs. Or the water.

Heck if I know.

Good luck.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote