"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
Head Chef

Why in the world would you want to???? I doubt that any harm would come to your engine, other than spilling whatever you were cooking all over it, but for me the real negative here (besides looking really stupid), is the possiblilty of contamination of the food. There are all sorts of things on and in your engine that you really, really don't want to eat. Not only would they be unhealthy, but I seriously doubt that youd' like most of those "seasonings" either.

Even just the smells coming off a hot engine don't exactly whet my appetite.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
Cook

Just a friendly question guys, no need to get hostile. It's just something I heard about and wanted to know more about. I'm new here, perhaps there is a list of approved questions somewhere? I wanted to tell my son about it, because he is into cars, and kinda likes to cook. I'm not stupid, nor do I need to "resort to these kinds of shenanigans."

Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmile
Just a friendly question guys, no need to get hostile. It's just something I heard about and wanted to know more about. I'm new here, perhaps there is a list of approved questions somewhere? I wanted to tell my son about it, because he is into cars, and kinda likes to cook. I'm not stupid, nor do I need to "resort to these kinds of shenanigans."
Well said. All questions are acceptable. Don't hesitate to ask. Sadly, some answers are not acceptable. Please ignore those.

I think it might be worth a try for the fun of it. Newer car engines have so many shields and plastic housings, etc, it may be difficult to get access to a part of the engine that's hot enough to be effective.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I know that a ton of people have done this with success. Personally I think it would be fun to try and if done correctly would not be dangerous. The food would be wrapped up well so it would not be contaminated. I love cooking things in alternate ways like this, even if it is more effort and not as efficient as normal kitchen cooking. Cooking is partially about having fun and I think this would be fun.

I do not know cars well so I would not know the manifold if I was looking right at it, thus I won't be trying it, but if your son can find his I think you both should try this (and let us know of the success and fun you have).
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I don`t drive a car, but I`ve done it with my Bike loads of times if that counts?
both on the exhaust and a little tin I had spring clipped to the motor head, hot toasted cheese buns are the best or even hot dogs, in the tin I put chili or rice in there.

Happy Days :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never cooked anything using my car's engine, but did steam some fish on the top rack of my dishwasher once. Turned out great.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Never cooked on engine, but hubby did a few time. Well, heated, not cooked per say. He is a long distance truck driver and there have been times that he has heated thing on the engine. Now he has a microwave and has abandoned this "trick of the trade".
Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

On our car's manifold - no but on our snowmobile's - yes. There is actually something built that you can buy to cook while you ride (it looks like a tin box with 2 straps that go around the manifold under the hood). It's nice when you are out for the day and can stop for a hot lunch rather than either bar food or a cold sandwich. We've only done burritoes and hotdogs but other people I know have done hamburgers and even hash brown potatoes. Pretty tasty with a cold beverage in the snow .
Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #19
Master Chef

I never have, but a contractor or two that I work with has. Once they gave me one of their homemade burritos it was nice and hot, so it does work. If I want a hot lunch and don't have access to a microwave, I just bring a thermos of soup, chili, etc.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Years ago my husband was an over the road trucker, driving with a partner, so the rarely stopped, He had heard of this method so tried it to reheat things at first, the started cooking soup and easy stuff. He works for a diiferent company now, but just yesterday heated hamburgers on the trucks engine. My advice go for it if you want to. Just make sure you wrap your food good.