Have you ever cooked using your car's engine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh yeah, nearly forgot, I`ve done a can of beans on my Generator too (pop a few hole in the tin 1`st though!).

This is a picture of me from about 8 years ago with polish sausage wrapped and attached to the cam cover for a 90 mile trip down to the Chattanooga Aquarium. We had a picnic in the parking lot (planned) and I was the only one with hot food. It worked great!

hotdogs.jpg

Several shows like The Bush Tucker Man, In The Wild with Harry Butler, Ask The Leyland Brothers, and so forth have shown the various hosts go fishing and wrap up their catch and stick it under the bonnet of the LandRover's engine bay so that when they stopped again, their meal was piping hot. Normally seasoned with wild fruits and seasonings of the bush and had a vege or two thrown in for good measure too. Now as to whether any of them really did do it, or enjoyed it is anyone's guess!

One of our cooking shows here, Fresh, cooked a piece of barramundi on a shovel over the campfire just the other week. No foil. Just the plain shovel.

I seem to recall an Alton Brown episode where they put food on something hot on a motorcycle. It was on one of the shows (1st season) where he goes from dive to dive LOL

That was Feasting on Asphalt, and they used a contraption that connects to the battery of the vehicle, or to the cigarette lighter. They sell them in truck stops.

Guess I wasn't watching too closely, huh? LoL I probably have a good excuse too, I was probably reading messages on DC ... LoL So there!!! hehe

It's a car-be-cue ;)
Which wouldn't be too hard to do, if you could find a place in your car's engine compartment that got hot enough, steady enough, and had a long enough drive ahead. A temp of 225+ degrees isn't totally beyond speculation.

The only real hard part would be mounting whatever you're cooking in.

I've thought about it, but never done it. I did hear that it was possible. It just seems like a bit of a hassle when short on time on a long trip.

Back
Top Bottom