"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Cook

Have you ever cooked using your car's engine?

I've heard of cooking or heating food as you drive by putting it on the manifold of the car's engine. Wish I knew what a manifold is. My son would get a kick out of this. If anyone has done this, can you tell me where to put food on the engine, and how do you keep it from falling out while you drive?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sunnysmile......

Without being to technical, the manifold you refer to is part of the exaust system of your engine...thus exaust manifold. It bolts on the side(s) of your car/truck engine where it directs the exaust of the engine to the exaust pipe, then to the muffler, and subsequently through the tail pipe at the rear of the vehicle. It does get dangerously hot!!!! On modern vehicles it can be precarious to get to, having to reach through a maze of other componets, some which are hot!. If you managed to put some weiners wrapped in foil on the mainfold, and they didn't fall off, then they probably would be heated. Hardly worth the effort, considering the danger of coming into contact with hot or moving parts of the engine. My advice; Don't Go there!!

Be Safe!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Master Chef

Actually, the infamous (& EXTREMELY funny!!!) "Car Talk" guys, who have an NPR radio show, did a very funny tongue-in-cheek episode with guest Martha Stewart - all about how to roast a chicken on a car engine - lol!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Executive Chef

HB heats a frozen homemade burrito wrapped in foil on his ranch truck manifold it goes from frozen to piping hot in about an hour but that is easy since it can fit on there well.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Head Chef

Nope, but I used to heat my sandwiches for lunch by leaving them
on the dashboard, wrapped in tin foil.

Somewhere I saw a contraption that bolted to your back bumper. It rerouted your car exhaust to use as a heat source for cooking.

I think I'd stick to Quickee Take Out gut bombing hot dogs, 2/$1.00!!! ;)
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Cook

LOL you guys...not sure I want to try this now after your replies, but guess what I found? A cookbook for this called Manifold Destiny...apparently it has cooking times set by how fast you drive and how many hours to drive.

Amazon.com: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!: Books: Chris Maynard,Bill Scheller

Pretty pricey for a little paperback at over $60!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Head Chef

Currently $5.58 on ebay!
Manifold Destiny Cooking On Your Car Engine on eBay, Cookbooks, Books
Old 07-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Head Chef

Sorry, I have to be the stick in the mud here. I would not risk causing major damage to my vehicle, or placing someone behind the wheel/operating a motor vehicle while trying to cook, as a joke, for fun or otherwise. Sounds like a dangerous prank by college or h.s. kids. Just my opinion. Stay safe.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy*
placing someone behind the wheel/operating a motor vehicle while trying to cook,
They don't actually DO anything...not like they'd be flipping saute pans or anything, they just drive.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
No, but I've seen it done on television, and I also watched that hoser, Bob Blumer (The Surreal Gourmet) poach salmon, wrapped in aluminium foil, in his dishwasher.

Although both were extremely amusing, I can't anticipate any occasion where I would have to resort to such shenanigans to prepare a meal.