"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I've never had this before but it sounds lovely and I want to try to make it. How long does it keep after it's made?
It's easy enough to make--basically a garlic mayonnaise. Keeps several days to a week maybe?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

hello, just kinda skimmed this thread.. but I was wondering if perhaps you used too much or too little in the way of an emulcifying agent? aoli gets a little fussy about that sort of thing.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
Cook

Aioli Update

Well, I'm still not 100% what is going on with aioli and me. I tried again tonight, and used my blender. It's possible I still didn't get the egg yolk mixture adequately beaten before I started adding the oil ... but I dunno. However, on another BB I got instructions for "rescuing" broken aioli, so rather than throw out my mess I tried the rescue operation and, by golly, it worked! The rescue instructions were to take a fresh egg yolk with a little water and put it in the machine. Start blending as I would if I were starting from scratch again and then drizzle the broken aioli into the new egg yolk in the same way I did with the original olive oil. Worked like a charm. I'd have bet money I'd just find myself throwing out a larger quantity of failed aioli but instead I wound up with a lovely batch. I'm still trying to puzzle this out ... the volume of the single fresh egg yolk was less than the original volume of the two-yolk mixture and yet the blender had no trouble emulsifying the broken aioli into it. Not sure what to try next time, but at least now I know how to fix it!

Here's a question: I've been putting all of the ingredients (except the oil) into the blender at once and then turning the blender on. Should I be adding things one at a time in a specific order instead? The recipe didn't say to do that but I'm grasping at straws here....
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I've never had this before but it sounds lovely and I want to try to make it. How long does it keep after it's made?
The recipe said to use it up within three days, but I have to think it might keep a bit longer than that. ?? I hope so because I'm not sure I can use all of mine up quite that fast.

Which brings up another question: I made the aioli for lamb panini sandwiches - fabulous - but we're out of the leftover lamb now. What else could I use the rosemary-thyme aioli for? Roast beef sandwiches? Topping for a not-too-delicate fish? Calamari? Hm ... ground lamburgers would be good... All ideas gratefully received!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
hello, just kinda skimmed this thread.. but I was wondering if perhaps you used too much or too little in the way of an emulcifying agent? aoli gets a little fussy about that sort of thing.
Still working on it ... please do have a look at my Aioli update message in this thread and let me know if anything comes to mind after you read the latest news....
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I believe our chef said if it "broke" it could be rescued by just a little water--alone. I know it was simple, and didn't involve another egg yolk, because I was surprised at the ease.