Help with choosing meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southernbelle5672

Assistant Cook
Ok, this question is probably ridiculous but here goes ....

I want to buy some "short ribs" or something to make "braised beef" with. What are they actually called in the store?

I'm with BigAL. GO to a store that has a meat department. Ask the meat cutter or butcher what they would recommend. They will be more than happy to steer you right. (that had to be the worse pun ever)

Good advice. Ask the meat guy.

In general, if you want something with a bone, short ribs are a good choice. If you want a larger, boneless roast for braising, I like a boneless chuck roast. Meat departments sometimes label their meats with a sticker that identifies it as a pot roast or oven roast.

Suggestion, if you buy short ribs with the bone, have the butcher crack the bone for you. It makes them easier to handle.
kadesma

Kade why are short ribs hard to handle?
I've found more than 4 are hard to get into my slow cooker, cracking the bones helps me position them for cooking. Plus having that bone gives so much more flavor.
kades:)

I've found more than 4 are hard to get into my slow cooker, cracking the bones helps me position them for cooking. Plus having that bone gives so much more flavor.
kades:)
I'm not sure I'm understanding. I think the short ribs I buy are about 2 inches or so long and approximately a cube. No cracking required. They are fairly fatty and for my taste are either trimmed of cooled and the fat removed from the top.

Something like this

Attachments

• beef_short_ribs_2056_detail.jpg
    beef_short_ribs_2056_detail.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 274
Short ribs can be cut two different ways. English cut ribs are one rib with meat on it. Flanken style ribs are pieces cut across several ribs with meat in between. The English cut ribs are harder to arrange because of the size of the bone.

From an old thread. I don't think I have seen this cut in my area. Looks interesting.
(Flanken style ribs)

Attachments

• BBQBeefFlankencutRibs190.jpg
    BBQBeefFlankencutRibs190.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 245
Back
Top Bottom