HELP!! with flambeing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
:chef:I just need some advice on Flambeing food, whether it be dessert or main coarse. I only have an electric stove/oven, and I know to flambe you should have a gas stove/oven. My question is " Can I use an electric stove/oven to flambe" ?? or can you only do it with gas ??.
Should I try to do it with a ciggie lighter or a match, or would that be dangerous??. I am hoping someone can help, as I would like to try doing it myself, it looks so good on Tele. when I watch it and see this happening, I've tried with my stove, but doesn't work, I cant get the flame, mind you, the sauce turns out a real knock-out, doesn't burn at all, just sits in the alcohol.
Thanks to anyone who can Help and give ideas.

In lieu of a long lighter or a long match, I've heard of using the lighted end of a piece of spaghetti as well.

Thank-You to everyone so far for your help. I have never thought of a pistol
lighter or a stick of spaggetti, the spaggetti I always have, the lighter I will buy, thanks to all so far.

Of course you can use an electric stove.

I just use a regular match. But it's best to use something longer if you are new to the technique.

the usual gas stovetop technique is to give the sauce a swirl around the pan, then tip it forward (away from you) till the sauce reaches toward the far lip off the pan, where the alcohol vapors will hit the flame and ignite.

the lighter gun is probably the most convenient, but you could also probably use a small votive candle, which could already be burning stoveside.

icon12.gif

philso said:
the usual gas stovetop technique is to give the sauce a swirl around the pan, then tip it forward (away from you) till the sauce reaches toward the far lip off the pan, where the alcohol vapors will hit the flame and ignite.

the lighter gun is probably the most convenient, but you could also probably use a small votive candle, which could already be burning stoveside.

icon12.gif

Spot on, up till the votive part. Don't you agree that you'd have to put your hand too close to the pan for that technique? A taper candle would be better, if you have to use a candle...but as soon as you tip the candle to the sauce, any accumulated wax would spill into the pan. How are you, by the way..?

not tip the candle toward the sauce, but tip the sauce toward the flame, not moving the candle. i'll give it a shot some time and see how it goes.

doing tolerably well. weather's been nice recently and have done a couple of weekend bicycle tours. how's your rehab coming along?

(sorry to turn thin into a chat sw)
icon11.gif

icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom