Help with KA meat grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night, DH and I tried grinding meat with the meat grinder attachment on the Kitchen Aid for sausage. We used a pork shoulder and he cut it into 1 inch bits. About every two minutes, the grinder was getting clogged and we had to clean it out. The meat came out in kind of a mush. I suspect that one of the problems was he didn't have the meat cold enough when he was grinding, but could there be some thing else that we were doing wrong? Thanks!

Oh, the end product of the sausage tasted good. It was a little salty, but I definitely want to try this again.

Get the meat colder. Did you put it in the freezer for a bit? It shouldn't be frozen but it should be pretty cold.

Also I find I need to really tighten the ring that holds the plate. Only by hand but I do make sure to really get a good grip on it and tighten it as much as possible.

The KA likely didn't have anything to do with too salty though.. :mrgreen:

Clogged with what???

Silly question I know....but you did have blade behind the plate right?

Not a silly question because apparently we forgot to put it in. I was cleaning up and noticed a piece in the box and asked DH if he put it in. He said no. :LOL:

I'm guessing that's why it wasn't working right. :ROFLMAO: Next time it should go a lot smoother. This is why you shouldn't operate kitchen equipment when tired.:LOL:

Thanks for your help.

Oh my...

Well.. My tips are still important, though mayhaps not quite as important as being sure all the pieces are installed properly. :mrgreen:

Oh my...

Well.. My tips are still important, though mayhaps not quite as important as being sure all the pieces are installed properly. :mrgreen:

Well, I put the meat back in the freezer while I was "grinding" it and it mushed it a lot better when it was cold. At least it's an easy fix. I'm laughing at how silly we were.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom