"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I find creating the vortex and dropping the egg in the center of it works for me. Remove from heat, cover, and wait about 4-5 minutes if you want a runny yolk. Also, if doing more than one, to lower the custard cup into the water and cook it in the cup. Some people use rings or cupcake liners. If your white is breaking up, it could be the eggs are not fresh. Eggs in stores can be 1 week to almost 52 weeks old, at least here in Ontario. Because of the egg marketing board, eggs can sit in a warehouse for almost 12 months before they hit the supermarket shelf. Although, usually, the 12 month-old eggs are sent to be turned into powdered eggs. If the eggs are from a USDA-inspected location, the carton must contain a packed date and the expiry date cannot be more than 45 days later than the packed date. However, eggs are not necessarily packed the same day they are laid. To determine if you have old eggs, take your eggs out of the fridge, put them in a pitcher of water. Do the whole carton to determine which eggs in the carton are the freshest eggs. Any that float are older than 1 week and the white will not adhere to the yolk as tightly as it would with eggs that are less than one week old (any that do not float or remain partially suspended are fresher than the eggs that rise to the top). This is the nature of eggs and not much you can do about it if you don't have access to fresh eggs.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

One of my favorite ways to poach eggs is slow poaching , leave the eggs in the shell and keep the water at 145 F the entire time. The internal temp of the egg will stay at the perfect temp as I like them and will not overcook. Depending on how done you like the yolk and white , you can adjust the temp of the water to match.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I'm pretty sure the definition of poached eggs requires them to be out of the shell. Otherwise with the shell they're soft boiled.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm pretty sure the definition of poached eggs requires them to be out of the shell. Otherwise with the shell they're soft boiled.
+1 Anything that is poached is cooked in a simmering bath of liquid.

Poached egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Yeah I would say your right , well the way that these come out are very similar to a poached egg and are really easy to get just right , I like the whites to be a little runny on mine. The recipite that I use is called slow poached but I guess it is really just very soft boiled, the eggs basically cook in a warm water bath.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Maybe we can say a poached egg is sort of half way between a fried egg and a soft boiled egg.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I wish I had a dollar for every egg that I have ruined trying to get the perfect poached egg lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish_33
I wish I had a dollar for every egg that I have ruined trying to get the perfect poached egg lol.
As long as you ate it, it didn't go to waste. It may have gone to waist. (hee hee).
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

As long as you ate it, it didn't go to waste. It may have gone to waist. (hee hee).
Well I spent a entire weekend trying to perfect poaching eggs, I tried alot of different recipites. Its a good thing that eggs are cheap lol. There are actually alot of good recipites out there but alot of it is trial and error.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Other than I've heard the vortex method works for some people, I can't offer much. I've cooked a lot of things but eggs in any form other than hard boiled or scrambled hard are a no go for me.

Tags
eggs