"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Sous Chef

welcome back

over beaten and the batter sits.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Head Chef

I don't know that I've had too many of the rubbery variety. I usually get the ones made out of this stuff.....

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
lol!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Mostly they use a mix sort of like Bisquick. They're universally awful if not made from scratch.

thymeless
Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Head Chef

Around here most of our breakfast places serve a pretty good pancake. If you don't mind overpriced, IHOP makes good pancakes and outrageous corn cakes.

(IHOP--International House of Pancakes)....

For making them at home, my favorite is Jiffy Banana nut muffin mix with some pancake mix added to lighten it up. Just mix it up with egg and milk... very tasty!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

Most joints use a boxed mix because of unskilled help == lousy pancakes. It takes a real trooper to bail out of a warm bed when it is 20 below to go cook pancakes
Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I used to enjoy McDonald's pancakes... until they started to use pre cooked ones. :s
Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

My wife is just spoiled, as am I. I have a great "from-scratch" pancake recipe that beats any boxed or packaged mix I've ever used. I can change the flavor profile to whatever strikes my fancy. I can make them taste like pumpkin pie, or chocolate, or blueberry pancakes, or buttermilk pankaces, or apple fritters, etc. I can even turn the basic recipe into cakes of various flavor. And the beauty of the recipe is that the basic version is soooooo easy. And the result is a light, fluffy, and moist pancake that is so tender, it melts in your mouth. Compare that with the rubbery version found in restaurants.

But I remember my first restaurant pancakes. They were as big as the plate. I was about ten years old, and I thought they were superb. It's not that I don't like restaurant pancakes, it's just that the texture is lacking. But they are edible, and do beat a sharp stick in the eye.

For those newer members, there are a few people around here (including me) that make great scratch pancakes, and who would never use a pre-made mix. We might make them a bit differently, but all agree, they sure beat the restaurant version. Anyone who doesn't have my recipe, just ask. And I have several testimonials about my recipe from fellow DC'rs.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #19
Master Chef

Goodweed, thank you for describing My pancakes above, and yes your pancakes are really much better than the restaurant ones, but admit they are only second best around here.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Goodweed, thank you for describing My pancakes above, and yes your pancakes are really much better than the restaurant ones, but admit they are only second best around here.
Charlie, I don't remember who did the comparison, but someone here on DC made both of our recipes and stated that they were both amazing, but completely different. This person also stated under which circumstances each would be best served. So, I tip my hat to you my freind for making very good pancakes. But better than mine, I don't think so. It's to bad you we don't live closer together. I'd have to challenge you to a "Throwdown".

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote