"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #21
Executive Chef

"I use those plastic corn trays that hold the cob and any and all juices, along with those plastic two-tine things you stick in the cob for easy handling."

That's what we use. I thought they were kind of tacky at first, but they sure do the trick. When you're finished the cob, pour the melted butter on whatever else you're eating.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #22
Master Chef

Once a year we were allowed to have a huge blow out, and for that one we could eat nothing but corn and tomatoes, after preparing what seemed like tons of both for the freezer. Our big celebration was that we were allowed to roll the corn directly on a stick of margarine. When you're through you pretty much need to throw whatever is left over away, it is such a mess. But it was one time when manners were not insisted upon. We also used dish towels as napkins. It would be hot out in those Utah years, so we might literally hose down after (always done outside), then jump in a little wading pool to cool down.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Executive Chef

If I'm bringing a platter of boiled corn to the table, I'll butter them all in the kitchen with a brush and melted butter. If for some reason I cannot do this, (ie I roasted it over a fire, and we're all outside) I'll pass a pat of butter with each ear, hoping everyone works quickly enough to slather it on... I've discovered that corn that's soaked in beer or cider for a while, and then roasted over fire doesn't really need the addition of butter...

When we were kids, we'd roll the ear in the butter stick, leaving a tunnel down the length of it. No one ever wanted to use that stick the next morning for toast, however, so my mother usually frowned on our buttering method.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
We always melted our butter and applied it with a Pastry brush.. It's very convienent and easy to apply.. I was shocked that no one had mentioned up to this point.

-Brad
I mentioned it in my original post, Brad. I think that's a pretty classy method.

I have a friend who has one of those little plastic butter holders, and it's pretty cool, GB. She's one of those ladies who has all the right little gadgets.

Beth, I do the same thing, although f I'm using a little butter for cooking, I do try to remember to use some of the "deformed stick".

My daughter uses that butter flavored spray, and it's not bad for something like a grilled cheese sandwich, but I don't care for it with corn.

By the way, the Squeeze Parkay really is pretty good. But when I found out that margarine was as bad healthwise as butter (although in a different way), I decided to just stick with butter for most purposes.

I do like to keep a tub of reduced-calorie soft-spread margarine on hand for spreading on toast or my baked potato (along with lite sour cream).
Old 08-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #25
Master Chef

We always put lots of butter on a piece of bread and rub the corn on it. Easy way to go.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #26
Master Chef

JoAnn, I was born in Iowa...Des Moines, actually. My mom and dad lived in Bondurant, which was just a tiny farming town at the time.
We moved to Illinois, back to my mother's home town, when I was 18 months old, but we always went to see Dad's family every summer.
I'll never forget how proud I was when I learned how to prime the pump on the artisian well and stick my head under the cold water like my cousins did.

I have actually listened to the corn grow. One very hot and sultry night, when I was 14, my dad drove me out into a cornfield, shut of the engine, and rolled down the windows. We sat there quietly, listening.
You really can hear the corn growing...it rustles, pops and cracks in that hot, humid air.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Please don't go into shock Brad, but I nip a nob off a very cold block, put it in my mouth from the knife, then eat the seasoned corn. One bite or a travelling nibble along the cob depending on how much butter I have nobbled.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Corn on cob

Corn on the cob should only be eaten at home. After all then you got you feet under your own table and you can do aas you please. I have been known to put the butter in my hand and rub it on the corn that wayh. Well any way it works for me. Oh and by the way I never, never, never eat corn away from home.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #29
Master Chef

Constance

What great memories from your childhood. The first time I went into a cornfield I couldn't believe how tall it grows. We are lucky this year. My son-in-law planted sweet corn. There is enough for our whole family. Bless him.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #30
Senior Cook

LOL quite right. Need a dessert of toothpicks and floss too. I wouldn't dream of eating corn cobs except with friends and family.