"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never seen this thread Miss Connie...My method is to start with a knife...then it falls off on the plate...I pick it up, use my fingers to spread it on the corn. Then lick my fingers, and chow down!!!

I Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #52
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If I'm eating with civilized people (doesn't happen very often!) I start by putting the butter on the corn with a knife. Then I roll the corn in it on the plate. If it is just James and me, I sometimes hold the half wrapped stick of butter and rub the open end over the corn. I had never heard of the buttered bread method. That is definitely an interesting method, which I will have to try!

Barbara

Old 10-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #53
Executive Chef

I've never heard of the buttered bread method either but it sounds like it would work great. Usually, I serve corn on the cob in those tacky little plastic corn "boats" with the little skewers that stab into each end of the ear. I put a pat of butter in the bottom of the "boat" and then we roll the corn in the butter. I only serve corn on the cob during family dinners or to really close friends at a casual meal because it's very messy and the corn does get stuck in your teeth, etc. So the tacky corn boats aren't too bad and they do make it easier for kids to butter the corn without making a huge mess.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #54
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
We serve corn on the cob on its own little plate and add a pat of butter to the plate. Then you grab the corn handles (holders on either end) and simply roll it (along with salt and pepper). Easy!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #55
Senior Cook

I use a butter knife and spread the butter all around the corn then wrap in foil, grill then eat. My kids love corn.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

We used to go to the roadside stands up in VT. They would cook the corn on barrels split in half and filled with coals. One end would be wrapped in foil and then they would dunk it into a vat of melted butter. It was the quickest way to get butter on the corn and man did it taste good.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #57
Master Chef

GB, you brought back a memory that was great. At Hickam Air Force Base, we used to have an annual fair to support various child-oriented charities on the installation. Every organization manned a booth, and mine was the corn booth. It was done very much as you describe. Then, those of us who were working would grab ears of corn and run them around to the other booths, and we'd exchange ears of corn for nachos, burgers, fries, etc, untill all of the people working the booths had full meals. Great fun, and we provided money for day care and other child services.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

I have two ways of buttering up my corn. When the situation calls for being somewhat polite I use the back of my spoon to butter up the corn...I think it works better than a knife. When no one is around I break the ear of corn into 3 inch pieces and roll it in my little countrycrock tub of spreadable butter.