How do you butter your corn on the cob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bread with butter that is still the cost efficient way to do it

Heres how i do it.
Put butter, on a slice of bread. Then rub the buttery bread, on the corn in the cob.

Mel

I've heard of all the other methods, but our family has always used the sway-backed butter method. You know the one. In the end there's a long channel down the stick of butter on the dish. No one has ever objected to using the remaining goofy-shaped stick of butter for toast or anything else.

IMO it hardly matters how the butter gets there. Fresh sweet corn is pure heaven any way it's buttered.

I have tried all methods but the (butter on bread one). I still like to have a bowl of soften butter, take a plastic sandwich bag lay it ontop of the butter--as ppl get there corn--they stick their hand in the bag, grab some butter and roll the corn around---- yum ! Then when everyone is finished - throw bag away ! :-p (we've used waxed paper too)

13.gif

I cut my corn off the cob, then do the butter S & P thing. I hate hate hate corn stuck in my teeth.:( :rolleyes:

Can someone tell this ignorant Antipodean just WHAT is deformed butter?
Im having all kinds of thoughts here. :LOL:

Lynan said:
13.gif

I cut my corn off the cob, then do the butter S & P thing. I hate hate hate corn stuck in my teeth.:( :rolleyes:

Can someone tell this ignorant Antipodean just WHAT is deformed butter?
Im having all kinds of thoughts here. :LOL:
Lol well you take a stick of cold butter and lay a piece of hot sweetcorn on top--it melts the corn looking like a valley in your butter--therefor deformed !!:-p:-p Hope this helps !

For years, our family would spread butter on the corn on the cob with a knife.

I always sat there at the table wondering why the heck there wasn't a better way to do it, since everyone's butter just slid of the corn onto the plate.

Then, in my teens I think, my Mother began putting a small dish of melted butter and a pastry brush on the table. But by the time you finished spreading melted butter on the corn on the cob, it had all dripped onto the plate. So I'd wait patiently for everyone to be finished with the butter and I'd just keep buttering my corn on the cob until I was finished eating it. Yeah I know, that's like double dipping, but I always thought this method should thrown out.

I still eat dinner with my family on weekends, and like someone else in this thread said, my Mother (finally ) bought the gadget that holds a stick of butter and this is by far the best method yet.

Usually I cut the corn off the cob. I had braces on my teeth when I was younger and because of that I hate corn in my teeth.

Before that I used a fork.

:ROFLMAO: I've never seen this thread Miss Connie...My method is to start with a knife...then it falls off on the plate...I pick it up, use my fingers to spread it on the corn. Then lick my fingers, and chow down!!!:LOL:

I Have Fun & Enjoy!!!;)

If I'm eating with civilized people (doesn't happen very often!) I start by putting the butter on the corn with a knife. Then I roll the corn in it on the plate. If it is just James and me, I sometimes hold the half wrapped stick of butter and rub the open end over the corn. I had never heard of the buttered bread method. That is definitely an interesting method, which I will have to try!

:)Barbara

I've never heard of the buttered bread method either but it sounds like it would work great. Usually, I serve corn on the cob in those tacky little plastic corn "boats" with the little skewers that stab into each end of the ear. I put a pat of butter in the bottom of the "boat" and then we roll the corn in the butter. I only serve corn on the cob during family dinners or to really close friends at a casual meal because it's very messy and the corn does get stuck in your teeth, etc. So the tacky corn boats aren't too bad and they do make it easier for kids to butter the corn without making a huge mess.

We serve corn on the cob on its own little plate and add a pat of butter to the plate. Then you grab the corn handles (holders on either end) and simply roll it (along with salt and pepper). Easy!

I use a butter knife and spread the butter all around the corn then wrap in foil, grill then eat. My kids love corn.

We used to go to the roadside stands up in VT. They would cook the corn on barrels split in half and filled with coals. One end would be wrapped in foil and then they would dunk it into a vat of melted butter. It was the quickest way to get butter on the corn and man did it taste good.

GB, you brought back a memory that was great. At Hickam Air Force Base, we used to have an annual fair to support various child-oriented charities on the installation. Every organization manned a booth, and mine was the corn booth. It was done very much as you describe. Then, those of us who were working would grab ears of corn and run them around to the other booths, and we'd exchange ears of corn for nachos, burgers, fries, etc, untill all of the people working the booths had full meals. Great fun, and we provided money for day care and other child services.

I have two ways of buttering up my corn. When the situation calls for being somewhat polite I use the back of my spoon to butter up the corn...I think it works better than a knife. When no one is around I break the ear of corn into 3 inch pieces and roll it in my little countrycrock tub of spreadable butter.

Back
Top Bottom