"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Pot roast is one of my favorites - I like mine in the crockpot - a no brainer. I really wish someone would prepare this the way I described, it really is delish.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Smile Oven Roasted Cross Rib

It's not so easy to find an oven roasted cross rib recipe, so I decided to try the one with balsamic vinegar tonight. While waiting for it to cook I continued to browse the internet and run into this site. Reading Michelle's review of the roast makes me feel a bit better. I'll be making this 65 people on Sunday and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm using a 2lb roast so I adjusted the salt to 1 teaspoon because I think 1 tablespoon will simply be too much. I kept the measurement for the rest of the ingredients.

Bernadette

Old 09-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBAGENT View Post
It's not so easy to find an oven roasted cross rib recipe, so I decided to try the one with balsamic vinegar tonight. While waiting for it to cook I continued to browse the internet and run into this site. Reading Michelle's review of the roast makes me feel a bit better. I'll be making this 65 people on Sunday and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm using a 2lb roast so I adjusted the salt to 1 teaspoon because I think 1 tablespoon will simply be too much. I kept the measurement for the rest of the ingredients.

Bernadette
Bernadette, a meat thermometer is key for this recipe! Let it sit for a while before you slice it - I usually let it sit for at least 30 minutes, longer if I can. I use an electric knife to carve it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Hi there,
I was just doing a search and got a google hit on this thread. i was so impressed I immediately signed up. see my intro post, from the GTA. I am doing this roast now as we speak. I am using a roasting pan and rack, the usual one that comes with your oven. My oven is gas, not electric. I didn't have balsamic vinegar, so I used garlic vinegar, ( from philippines ), and also rubbed with michelles rub. eg. olive oil, thyme, etc...and I just put a half cup of water in the roasting pan. I put the seasoned meat on the rack, and stuck my meat thermometer in it. I pre heatd the oven to 350 deg. and set the timer for 2 hours. , so, I'll let you know when we eat it tonite how it turned out.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Whenever a pot roast recipe calls for a chuck roast (or any other cut, as a matter of fact), I use the cross rib because it is a bit leaner but still has that wonderful chuck-y flavor.

For medium-rare type recipes, I prefer steak cuts,usually a New York strip, which IMO has much more flavor than filet.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

conclusion

Hi people,

ok, I'll cut right to it... it was a success using the roasting technique.
I cooked it on 350 for about 2.5 hours in a gas oven. the roast was nicely browned and flavourful. ..and I didn't need to sear it first. just I rubbed it with some garlic vinigar, didnt' have balsamic. and then rubbed with oliive oil mix of Michelle. that was it. after cooking it, I did transfer to a pyrex dish and left in the fridge for a few hours before slicing it up. I used the pan juices to make a gravy. leftovers made sandwiches for kids lunches. cheers.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Here is my favorite way to prepare a rib roast.
Enjoy! Debbie

MOIST AND FLAVORFUL PRIME RIB ROAST

1 BEEF RIB ROAST; Bone-In.
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
JOHNNY'S SEASONING SALT; Or Favorite Seasoning.
GARLIC; Cut Into Slivers.
_____

Insert garlic into roast if desired.
Rub some Worcestershire sauce all over the roast.
Sprinkle roast with a generous amount of Johnny's seasoning all over.
Wrap roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Let roast sit out of refrigerator for 2 hours before baking.
Place roast in roasting pan; pour any marinade over roast.
Bake uncovered at 325 degrees until meat reaches desired doneness.
Remove from pan; cover with foil and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
Make gravy if desired.
_____
Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

hey ol blu, that's a yummy looking plate of food!! This thread is about
CROSS RIB, which is a cheaper cut than the roast you have made there, which is PRIME RIB. That's ok with me though, I just want to make sure others don't get confused now. I will still keep your recipe in mind when I find prime rib roast on sale. I'm going to do another cross rib roast today by the way. It goes fast, since we just eat it until it's gone...I don't like to freeze leftover roast beef, to me, it just loses texture and taste in that process.
Cheers ol blu and I see your eatin good in the neighbourhood
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
hey ol blu, that's a yummy looking plate of food!! This thread is about
CROSS RIB, which is a cheaper cut than the roast you have made there, which is PRIME RIB. That's ok with me though, I just want to make sure others don't get confused now. I will still keep your recipe in mind when I find prime rib roast on sale. I'm going to do another cross rib roast today by the way. It goes fast, since we just eat it until it's gone...I don't like to freeze leftover roast beef, to me, it just loses texture and taste in that process.
Cheers ol blu and I see your eatin good in the neighbourhood
I forgot to say when I posted the recipe that I follow this recipe for making a Cross Rib roast also. I was in a hurry when I posted I guess. Sorry.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I am interested in information re. Bone in rib eye roast. I have 2 4 1/2 pound chunks.
How long will it take to cook to a medium range? Mitien