How do you make your roux?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicholas Mosher said:
...Preventing lumps is all about whisking like a madman and slowly trickling the liquid in until you have a consistency that of gravy...

I've never had to "wisk like a mad man".

When you have made a roux, the flour granules are coated with fat. This prevents them from sticking together to form lumps.

I add liquid to a roux wisking steadily to mix in the liquid until the consistency is uniform throughout. Lumps are not a problem.

When I use the second method we were talking about (fat>veggies>flour) I sometimes have a roux that is a bit dry from the veggies grabbing hold of the flour, and the flour moistening with some of the water in the veggies. I might add a bit more fat, but as I said, I only use this method for light Rouxs. I often find that this type of roux is easier to get lumps with, because as you said, a separately cooked Roux has it's flour particles suspended in fat (and this method isn't as thorough). So I usually whisk at a pretty good pace when I add liquid to the fat>veggie>flour method. I use this method for my veloute, bechamel, and pan gravy sauces.

Making the roux separate is probably convenient and much more speedy in a commerical kitchen, but it just seems un-natural and artificial in the home (for me at least... I'm just odd like that).

With veggies in the mix, you're right. if you don't cook off most of the moisture from the veggies before adding the flour, you are going to be fighting lumps.

Mjohnson

It is much easier to make your Roux first on medium heat, then add your liquids your liquids should be warm, if you add a cold liquid to your roux it will lump up, or you can temper the sauce , by addding a small amount of roux to your not heated liquid and stir the mixture together, then pour back in the roux wisking constantly stirrring with a wisk. You should have a lump free sauce. :chef: Good luck

The second method you have listed is called "singer", pronounced 'son-zhay'. It works just as well as long as you dont plan on making a brown roux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom