"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Executive Chef

How does the "No Peek" technique work with smaller rib roasts?

I am going to attempt the no peek with a 4.5 lb standing rib roast tomorrow. I have never actually done this before. I am intrigued by it, though. I am afraid because I don't want to overcook it. That would be a major bummer and pretty much ruin my dinner. I plan to go 22 minutes at 500 then let it sit in the oven for two hours. Does this sound right? Anybody attempt it with a smaller roast like this? Did it work? I am a rare guy and don't care for it much if it is cooked past medium rare.

Maybe I should just stick with my tried and true method, experience and a meat thermometer. But, I like to try new things. Oh, I don't know. I am so conflused!!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Master Chef

If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'.....

Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Head Chef

How large is your roast? That could be a factor. I would like to try that method but think I'll get one of those thermometers that you put into the roast and the readout part stays outside of the over. It would be a shame to overcook an expensive cut of meat like that.

Don't forget standing time, it will cook a little longer.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have not done this. But I've heard good things about it! My cooking buddy (ok, she's more like the official wine taster) made one on Christmas Eve and has been raving about it. I'm pretty sure she followed a recipe she found by Paula Dean.

I think you should definitely try it and share the results.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The no peek recipe I use is for bone-in roasts. Rare = 12 minutes per rib, turn off the oven for at least 90 minutes, never opening it. S/B rare and delicious. Rest before carving (the roast, not you).
Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Wine Guy

I tried the "no peek" method a couple of years ago and was not satisfied with the results. It just never seemed to really get past rare temperature, and so I ended up turning the oven back on to finish it. Maybe my oven cools down too fast, I don't know. It seems to work for a lot of people, though.

I've since gone back to the "tried and true" method. For smaller roasts, I set the oven to 200F, and once it gets with 10 degrees of the internal temp I want it, I crank the temp up to 500 to get a little sear on the outside. I know most people do it the other way around, but I like the sear at the end.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I did this last year, but my roast was larger - 4 ribs. It was in the oven about 15-20 minutes longer than it was supposed to be, so it may be done more than it should - I don't know how that affected it.

The pic is lousy, but you can see how the roast came out. This was 5 minutes per pound at 500F, then off for 2 hours. My guests were quite late, so mine sat a little longer.

I think Pacanis did this with a smaller roast. Where is he when you need him?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prime rib (4).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	12712  
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I agree with the others above that you should use a remote reading meat thermometer. That way you can have "no peek" and have the backup of knowing for sure when it should be taken out.

I've made prime ribs down to 3# size, which makes a pretty nice 1.5# serving size for two big eaters! You both get end pieces of course.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm here now, SS! lol

I've done this several times, Rock. Even linked the vid in a couple of our prime rib threads. And I just did one last week, two ribs. It works great for me, but on the last couple roasts after one hour of the oven off, I turned it back on to 200F. My oven gets stone cold after one hour. It wasn't quite coming out done enough around the bone prior to that (for me). If you've got a good seal on your door you should be fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have done the 'no peek' a number of times with great success. But then we like our beef rare. And I had a self cleaning oven and even though I wasn't going to be cleaning the oven, I used that feature to provide a good seal to keep the heat in. And knowing myself like I do, I kept the light on so I could keep an eye on it. Works like a charm. I am sure the cut of the meat had something to do with it, but it always comes out fork tender. The ends were done enough for those that like their meat with no pink and the middle was done just right for us true carnivores.

Tags
technique