How does the "No Peek" technique work with smaller rib roasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I am going to attempt the no peek with a 4.5 lb standing rib roast tomorrow. I have never actually done this before. I am intrigued by it, though. I am afraid because I don't want to overcook it. That would be a major bummer and pretty much ruin my dinner. I plan to go 22 minutes at 500 then let it sit in the oven for two hours. Does this sound right? Anybody attempt it with a smaller roast like this? Did it work? I am a rare guy and don't care for it much if it is cooked past medium rare.

Maybe I should just stick with my tried and true method, experience and a meat thermometer. But, I like to try new things. Oh, I don't know. I am so conflused!!:wacko::LOL:

Last edited:
How large is your roast? That could be a factor. I would like to try that method but think I'll get one of those thermometers that you put into the roast and the readout part stays outside of the over. It would be a shame to overcook an expensive cut of meat like that.

Don't forget standing time, it will cook a little longer.

I have not done this. But I've heard good things about it! My cooking buddy (ok, she's more like the official wine taster) made one on Christmas Eve and has been raving about it. I'm pretty sure she followed a recipe she found by Paula Dean.

I think you should definitely try it and share the results. :chef: :chef:

The no peek recipe I use is for bone-in roasts. Rare = 12 minutes per rib, turn off the oven for at least 90 minutes, never opening it. S/B rare and delicious. Rest before carving (the roast, not you).

I tried the "no peek" method a couple of years ago and was not satisfied with the results. It just never seemed to really get past rare temperature, and so I ended up turning the oven back on to finish it. Maybe my oven cools down too fast, I don't know. It seems to work for a lot of people, though.

I've since gone back to the "tried and true" method. For smaller roasts, I set the oven to 200F, and once it gets with 10 degrees of the internal temp I want it, I crank the temp up to 500 to get a little sear on the outside. I know most people do it the other way around, but I like the sear at the end.

Last edited:
I did this last year, but my roast was larger - 4 ribs. It was in the oven about 15-20 minutes longer than it was supposed to be, so it may be done more than it should - I don't know how that affected it.

The pic is lousy, but you can see how the roast came out. This was 5 minutes per pound at 500F, then off for 2 hours. My guests were quite late, so mine sat a little longer.

I think Pacanis did this with a smaller roast. Where is he when you need him?????

Attachments

• prime rib (4).jpg
    prime rib (4).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
I agree with the others above that you should use a remote reading meat thermometer. That way you can have "no peek" and have the backup of knowing for sure when it should be taken out.

I've made prime ribs down to 3# size, which makes a pretty nice 1.5# serving size for two big eaters! You both get end pieces of course. :)

I'm here now, SS! lol

I've done this several times, Rock. Even linked the vid in a couple of our prime rib threads. And I just did one last week, two ribs. It works great for me, but on the last couple roasts after one hour of the oven off, I turned it back on to 200F. My oven gets stone cold after one hour. It wasn't quite coming out done enough around the bone prior to that (for me). If you've got a good seal on your door you should be fine.

I have done the 'no peek' a number of times with great success. But then we like our beef rare. And I had a self cleaning oven and even though I wasn't going to be cleaning the oven, I used that feature to provide a good seal to keep the heat in. And knowing myself like I do, I kept the light on so I could keep an eye on it. Works like a charm. I am sure the cut of the meat had something to do with it, but it always comes out fork tender. The ends were done enough for those that like their meat with no pink and the middle was done just right for us true carnivores. :chef:

The boneless tenderloin roast I cooked was only about 2 pounds, but the no peek method worked fine for rare. I wanted it rare enough that I could still fry steaks or slices that were still a nice a pink. Mission accomplished.

I did this last year, but my roast was larger - 4 ribs. It was in the oven about 15-20 minutes longer than it was supposed to be, so it may be done more than it should - I don't know how that affected it.

The pic is lousy, but you can see how the roast came out. This was 5 minutes per pound at 500F, then off for 2 hours. My guests were quite late, so mine sat a little longer.

I think Pacanis did this with a smaller roast. Where is he when you need him?????

that roast looks sooo succulent, ss--nice job!!:yum::)

Tried it once, waste of time and money for me. Don't try it unless you are willing to have a rare hunk of inedible meat. All depends on your oven. Some ovens aren't even accurate to their temperature, some lose heat faster than others, etc. Too many variables. You should never have to 'peek' anyway, if you have a thermometer that plugs into the meat and the reading unit sits outside of the oven. The best way is to cook your roast at 200 until its about done temperature wise, and if you want a sear do it AFTER the roast is cooked. It will give you less of a 'brown ring' when you cut the meat.

\.

I've since gone back to the "tried and true" method. For smaller roasts, I set the oven to 200F, and once it gets with 10 degrees of the internal temp I want it, I crank the temp up to 500 to get a little sear on the outside. I know most people do it the other way around, but I like the sear at the end.

I'm with you! I use the Kenji Alt/ Alton Brown Method ONLY. But I like my rib roast to have flavor.

I'm with you! I use the Kenji Alt/ Alton Brown Method ONLY. But I like my rib roast to have flavor.

As opposed to... people who like their rib roast to not have flavor? :wacko:
What a hoot :LOL:
IMO prime rib is one of the least flavorful ways to cook it anyway. Why do you think people insist of having it with horseradish and Au Jus? Much better to slice it up call it a ribeye and grill it, but then you wouldn't be eating prime rib :rolleyes:

As opposed to... people who like their rib roast to not have flavor? :wacko:

I like mine rare to medium rare in the middle and a very nicely browned crust on the outside. I like to coat the PR with lots of salt and garlic and anything else that seems suitable for the crust.

And I always have to ask in a restaurant to please bring me real horseradish, not that toned down stuff mixed with sour cream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom