"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I would agree with that Andy.
Sometimes I start the potatoes in the microwave and then finish them in the oven, which speeds the process up and gives the oven result.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Good to know Andy and miniman. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
Master Chef

I do baked potatoes in the microwave all the time. For two good-size ones, I first pierce one side with a fork several times, than nuke for 3 minutes; turn over & nuke for another 3 minutes; then wrap the potatoes in a clean dish cloth & allow to sit for 5 minutes. Perfect fluffy baked potatoes every time.

Of course, potato size & individual microwave ovens will affect these times.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I find I need the drying effect of the oven to give me the dry potato I need. The skin is not rigid enough to hold the filling and sags, letting the filling run out.

I never make twice baked so didn't even think of this but you are absolutely right. The skin will be thin and moist.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

it depends on the wattage and the size and number of potatoes. and eventually the age of the nuker.

we just bought a new 1100W sharp carousel microwave to replace a 20+ year old one that my wife bought for her first apartment.

in the old nuker, a single, fairly large spud would take 4 to 5 minutes. oh, we've gotten in the habit of piercing the skin several times all around to help vent some of the moisture. if the oven is heated for cooking something else, then they get finished on a piece of foil directly on the bottom of the oven. if not, they get nuked until done.

in the new nuker, it only takes about 3 minutes to complete.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

growing up I was taught the basic time is 5 mins per potato for medium sized ones....always worked for me!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
Head Chef

I always make baked potatoes in the oven because I like the skins crispy and they don't overcook. But if I'm in a hurry I put the potato in the micro oven and give the about 3 miniutes. They cook almost through then I put them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Perfect baked potato. Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #18
Master Chef

As others have said, microwave ovens vary so much in power that it is impossible to answer this question. One thing I do, though, to save time and heat (my kitchen is not air conditioned, not an issue right now, at -6 degrees, but in the summer a real issue) is nuke potatoes until they are almost done, then throw them into a very hot oven for maybe five minutes to get that good "skin", or throw them on the grill for the same effect. I had to buy a new microwave oven a couple of years ago and still hate the darned thing. Cannot get my timing right. Has less power than my old one, and no real instructions on baking potatoes! For the most part, you can go to your owner's manual and find the timing for it. By the way, baking a potato until it is almost done, then cutting, grating, slicing it for another preparation (anything from scalloped potatoes to home fries to hash browns) cuts a lot of prep time down, lets you cook with less fat, and keeps the heat down in the kitchen.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Micro my Potato

Medium size potato, pierced with fork in Micro 5 minutes.

I use for a baked potato.

I bake in micro, peel, cut into small cubes and make home fries.

Both work great.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have found that doing potatoes in the microwave for twice baked causes me problems. The microwave results in moister potatoes than oven baking. This has screwed me up with twice baked.

I find I need the drying effect of the oven to give me the dry potato I need. The skin is not rigid enough to hold the filling and sags, letting the filling run out.
Interesting. I've always used the microwave for baked and twice-baked potatoes, including just last night, and I've never had this problem. Maybe if you left a bit more potato inside, this wouldn't happen. Just a suggestion in case you need the speed of the microwave sometime