How long to microwave a potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I usually make baked potatoes in the oven, but I know they can come out just as well in the microwave. I am making a sort of twice baked potato tonight so I want to do the initial cooking the the micro and then the second cooking in the oven.

For how long do you usually put your potatoes in the microwave?

Depends.

On the size and type of the potato and how many you are cooking and how done you want them (I have some friends that won't eat them unless they are cooked for prbably twice the time they need.

I usually cook 2 med/large russets and it takes maybe 6 minutes.

With a microwave, just set it for a few minutes and test doneness. Keep zapping em for short periods of time until done to your liking.

Thanks guys! Good thing I checked with you first because I was guessing 10ish minutes. I will start with a couple of minutes and test from there.

If you are cooking 2 or more, I'd start checking at 4 min.

It also depends on your microwave. We have an ancient one here at work that says to zap spuds for 12 min each. I think it may be powered by gerbils on a treadmill.

Every microwave is a little different, as are the size of the potato, so experiment a little with the time and check your potato by stabbing with a fork. When it goes in easily it is done.

Speaking of stabbing with a fork, do that before cooking a couple times which allows for steam to escape.

They also have potato 'nails' that you can poke through the length of the potato. Its not enough metal to cause problems for most microwaves, but it does speed up the cooking of the insides.

I have used clean nails for cooking potatoes in the oven. I think the amount of time it would save in the micro would be negligible.

I usually go for about 5mins for 1 potato and increase for more. It does depend on the size of the potato though. I did some the other day which were quite big and were still not done at 10 mins - this is an 850W microwave

I have found that doing potatoes in the microwave for twice baked causes me problems. The microwave results in moister potatoes than oven baking. This has screwed me up with twice baked.

I find I need the drying effect of the oven to give me the dry potato I need. The skin is not rigid enough to hold the filling and sags, letting the filling run out.

I would agree with that Andy.
Sometimes I start the potatoes in the microwave and then finish them in the oven, which speeds the process up and gives the oven result.

I do baked potatoes in the microwave all the time. For two good-size ones, I first pierce one side with a fork several times, than nuke for 3 minutes; turn over & nuke for another 3 minutes; then wrap the potatoes in a clean dish cloth & allow to sit for 5 minutes. Perfect fluffy baked potatoes every time.

Of course, potato size & individual microwave ovens will affect these times.

I find I need the drying effect of the oven to give me the dry potato I need. The skin is not rigid enough to hold the filling and sags, letting the filling run out.

I never make twice baked so didn't even think of this but you are absolutely right. The skin will be thin and moist.

it depends on the wattage and the size and number of potatoes. and eventually the age of the nuker.

we just bought a new 1100W sharp carousel microwave to replace a 20+ year old one that my wife bought for her first apartment.

in the old nuker, a single, fairly large spud would take 4 to 5 minutes. oh, we've gotten in the habit of piercing the skin several times all around to help vent some of the moisture. if the oven is heated for cooking something else, then they get finished on a piece of foil directly on the bottom of the oven. if not, they get nuked until done.

in the new nuker, it only takes about 3 minutes to complete.

growing up I was taught the basic time is 5 mins per potato for medium sized ones....always worked for me!

I always make baked potatoes in the oven because I like the skins crispy and they don't overcook. But if I'm in a hurry I put the potato in the micro oven and give the about 3 miniutes. They cook almost through then I put them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Perfect baked potato. Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside.

As others have said, microwave ovens vary so much in power that it is impossible to answer this question. One thing I do, though, to save time and heat (my kitchen is not air conditioned, not an issue right now, at -6 degrees, but in the summer a real issue) is nuke potatoes until they are almost done, then throw them into a very hot oven for maybe five minutes to get that good "skin", or throw them on the grill for the same effect. I had to buy a new microwave oven a couple of years ago and still hate the darned thing. Cannot get my timing right. Has less power than my old one, and no real instructions on baking potatoes! For the most part, you can go to your owner's manual and find the timing for it. By the way, baking a potato until it is almost done, then cutting, grating, slicing it for another preparation (anything from scalloped potatoes to home fries to hash browns) cuts a lot of prep time down, lets you cook with less fat, and keeps the heat down in the kitchen.

Micro my Potato

Medium size potato, pierced with fork in Micro 5 minutes.

I use for a baked potato.

I bake in micro, peel, cut into small cubes and make home fries.

Both work great.

I have found that doing potatoes in the microwave for twice baked causes me problems. The microwave results in moister potatoes than oven baking. This has screwed me up with twice baked.

Interesting. I've always used the microwave for baked and twice-baked potatoes, including just last night, and I've never had this problem. Maybe if you left a bit more potato inside, this wouldn't happen. Just a suggestion in case you need the speed of the microwave sometime :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom