"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Congratulations on your new knife.

The picture you posted is of a cleaver. It's used fom chopping through bone and connective tissue.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

To answer my question earlier of whether or not to buy one knife now and add later or buy a cheap knife now until I could afford/choose a set.... I found out that buying a set of good knives is not cheaper than buying them individually. So for anyone who wants to know, buying a good individual knife and then adding to it later is probably a very good idea. In fact, it makes little sense at all to buy a set since you're just getting a bunch of knives some of which you probably won't use ever.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebam98
OK, I just bought an 8" chef's knife, a Wullstof (sp?). I asked the lady if a carving knife or a chef's knife would be better to cut my pork, but she said go for the chef's knife because it is versatile. I did end up paying $95 for it, but I bought it in a very ritzy type area ... I don't mind too much since it will last a lifetime plus I wanted to have it bythe weekend.

This is the picture of the butcher's knife I saw, along with a lot of other gory, Halloween, scary movie type pictures when you do an google image search for "butcher knife."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++==
This is what I have always called a Meat Cleaver.

I love my 7" Santoku from Linens and Things.
I've have used it since last October and it is still sharp enough to slice a tomato 1/8" thick.

When it gets dull I won't have to worry about which sharping method to use or sharpening stone go buy. I'll just buy another one.

Charlie
Old 04-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #14
Master Chef

I think this should be moved to the knife forum. That said, when I cut a whole chicken, I like a boning knife. It has the ability to get into the joints and cut off the legs, thighs, wings, etc, without mangling them, raw or cooked. For pork loins and tenderloins, any good knife will do, it isn't rocket science, you're basically just slicing. THere are two of us in our household, and when I buy a pork loin, I freeze it for a few hours, then slice half of it very thin and freeze all of it. The thin slices are for schnitzels and stir fries. Tenderloins usually come two to a package, and unless I'm having company, I separate the two and cut each in half before freezing.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have all kinds of knives but since getting a santoku, I use it most of all. Shop on amazon for knives.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I did originally post this in the knife forum.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Head Chef

We have a bunch of knives, accumulated over the years, but usually use just the chef knife.

My favorite knife however is the cleaver I purchased many years ago in an Asian market.

Cost almost nothing.

It is lighter than your normal cleaver and works great.

Does get dull pretty fast though.