"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 06-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by cocorico1402 View Post
From what you all say, what I need to do is not use my CP and make the chicken stock on the stove in a regular pot where I can control the temperature better. That way, I won't have to resort to clarifying it. I am not making a consommé, I just don't want broth that looks like it has ashes in it!Thank you all.
In a nutshell, yes.
CP is wonderful for some things but not for others.
Or you can cook it in the CP, but don't try to clarify in one.

cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
Head Chef
A pressure cooker is great for clear stock. I generally do chicken, using raw bones and skins and a few legs/thighs, as well as onion, celery and carrots. Use water to cover to about 2 inches over the top of the meat and veg. Pressure cook on high for an hour or so. Strain, discard the meat and veg (or give it to the dogs/cats/chickens) and chill the stock. Remove the fat if you like, and freeze or can the stock.

Bones will be soft and crumbly, so ok for dogs to eat.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Oh should have asked on the slow cooker is it a West Bend or a crockpot?
There are the different types.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
It is a CrockPot brand model #SCV700SS.
cocorico1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Whether I am making a stew, soup or just stock, I never let my broth come to a boil. Soft tiny bubbles is all that is needed. Sure it takes longer, but my broth is always clear. And in the event that it may need to use straining, I find that a coffee filter does a great job filtering.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Not letting it come to a boil is key. If the [Low] setting doesn't deliver just an occasional bubble to the surface, skew the lid slightly ajar until it does.

Boiling turns the molten fat and water into a cloudy colloid, typified by the tonkotsu-style of ramen. If you want pure, limpid clarity, go with Heston Blumenthal's freeze-clarifying method: Make it so thick that it's solid at room temperature with natural collagen, freeze it sold, then defrost it above a cheesecloth filter. The ice-matrix holds back the yukky stuff, and the stock is so clear you can see the future in it.

outRIAAge is offline   Reply With Quote

broth, how to