How to clarify broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cocorico1402

Assistant Cook
I've tried several methods. None of them were successful. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I want to start over and am hoping to read how to do it from the beginning, so I can figure out where I've gone wrong.
Thanks.

First, I've used a slow cooker (Crock Pot, the most recent, I think) on the lowest setting (10 h on low) and it is too hot. The liquid boils too hard! The "warm" setting is probably lower, but I assumed it was to keep the food from spoiling and not to actually cook. Then, since I had a very cloudy broth, I tried adding 2 egg whites slightly beaten to the "finger warm" broth and slowly bringing it to a boil, boil it for 10 minutes, then strain it through cheesecloth. Didn't do it.

Did you strain it first? Then add the egg white. Use the stove for clarifying.
You pour the egg white in slowly, then let it cook completely and restrain.

Yes, I strained it. I kept just the liquid. When I was done, I found that some of the egg white had stuck to the bottom of the pot. What temperature should I start with? Then It is supposed to boil, right?

Here is straight from Better Homes and Gardens.
1. To clarify stock, first strain. Strain stock by ladling it through a colander or sieve lined with 1 or 2 layers of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth; discard bones, vegetables, and seasonings. 2. Separate an egg (discard the yolk or save for another use). In a small bowl, combine the egg white and 1/4 cup cold water. 3. Stir the mixture into the hot, strained stock. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. (As the egg white cooks, it will coagulate and trap fine particles from the stock.) 4. Place a large sieve or colander lined with several layers of damp 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth over a large bowl. Pour the stock through the cloth to strain out the particles and egg white.

Try that.

Last edited:
I agree, don't boil your stock-to-be after it first comes to a boil. I've made stock in the CP, mine must cook lower than yours does, coco.

Last edited:
From what you all say, what I need to do is not use my CP and make the chicken stock on the stove in a regular pot where I can control the temperature better. That way, I won't have to resort to clarifying it. I am not making a consommé, I just don't want broth that looks like it has ashes in it!Thank you all.

From what you all say, what I need to do is not use my CP and make the chicken stock on the stove in a regular pot where I can control the temperature better. That way, I won't have to resort to clarifying it. I am not making a consommé, I just don't want broth that looks like it has ashes in it!Thank you all.
In a nutshell, yes.
CP is wonderful for some things but not for others.
Or you can cook it in the CP, but don't try to clarify in one.

A pressure cooker is great for clear stock. I generally do chicken, using raw bones and skins and a few legs/thighs, as well as onion, celery and carrots. Use water to cover to about 2 inches over the top of the meat and veg. Pressure cook on high for an hour or so. Strain, discard the meat and veg (or give it to the dogs/cats/chickens) and chill the stock. Remove the fat if you like, and freeze or can the stock.

Bones will be soft and crumbly, so ok for dogs to eat.

Whether I am making a stew, soup or just stock, I never let my broth come to a boil. Soft tiny bubbles is all that is needed. Sure it takes longer, but my broth is always clear. And in the event that it may need to use straining, I find that a coffee filter does a great job filtering. :angel:

Not letting it come to a boil is key. If the [Low] setting doesn't deliver just an occasional bubble to the surface, skew the lid slightly ajar until it does.

Boiling turns the molten fat and water into a cloudy colloid, typified by the tonkotsu-style of ramen. If you want pure, limpid clarity, go with Heston Blumenthal's freeze-clarifying method: Make it so thick that it's solid at room temperature with natural collagen, freeze it sold, then defrost it above a cheesecloth filter. The ice-matrix holds back the yukky stuff, and the stock is so clear you can see the future in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom