How To Crumble Pork Sausage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulyWally

Assistant Cook
Any preferred methods for crumbling pork sausage?

I often just crumble it while frying it in a pan (just like one would with ground beef), but it just doesn't like to crumble easily. I can rarely get it crumbled as fine as I like it to be. I usually end up with chunks as large as grapes.

Any ideas?

The higher fat content of the sausage does make it clump more. I use one of these Mix N Chop | Buy Quality Kitchenware at PamperedChef.com I know it's Pampered Chef but I've seen a similar tool at the store (I think it was Target but it may have been BB&B). It really helps. I usually let one side of the sausage get cooked then flip it over like a pancake then attack it with the chopper tool. That usually works fairly well.

Last edited:
The more you cook it, the dryer it gets, and the easier it is to crumble. Just drain off excess fat every once in a while to keep it relatively dry.

I usually fully cook it then pulse it lightly in the food processor. If you go at it to vigorously you just end up with crumbs.

I generally use an old fashioned hand held chopper called a Kwik Kut chopper. It has a somewhat taller handle than a cookie cutter but it works well for crumbling sausage or hamburger as well as cutting biscuits and such. It has been around here forever it seems.

%21B5L,-GgCWk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21hwEycF6jq5DBMsl9qTcWw%7E%7E_35.JPG

Last edited:
Any preferred methods for crumbling pork sausage?

I often just crumble it while frying it in a pan (just like one would with ground beef), but it just doesn't like to crumble easily. I can rarely get it crumbled as fine as I like it to be. I usually end up with chunks as large as grapes.

Any ideas?

I add about 1/4" or less water. The pork comes apart as finely as you want.

I then simmer it until cooked, drain and brown it.

Great idea without the need for extra gadgets. It probably also helps wash out excess fat making the sausage healthier.

Healthy and sausage are two words that should never be used in the same sentence! ;) :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom