How to cut potatoes for chips [fries]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
To often I've seen someone struggling to cut chips the same size with the potato on it's side trying to twist away. This may sound trivial but when you need to cut a fair few I worked out a quick and easy method.

Cut the end off first making a small flat surface, stand the potato on its end, slice down, rotate and slice down again at the required thickness to make nice even chips.
cheers:)
It's probably not a new idea but it might help some

attie, Yes I do the same cut with the potato. And I use a Japanese slicer(with the finger protector holding the potato) and slice.

Personally I don't make chips that way, I buy them already made frozen. I do more mashed potatoes than anything though but that's still good advice :)

Nice one, Attie - that's how I make mine, too.
Big, fat chips - nothing like them.
I think the last time I bought frozen ones was back in 1984!!

Thankyou Attie, I love big Fat Chips ( Aussie Style ), none of these skinny things you get at take-away shops, I love to taste the potato, this way sounds great, very simular to what I do, thanks again.

Here's how I teach my students

After peeling...
cut a slim slice, this gives you a flat surface to rest the potato on. Now with a very sharp knife (don't try unless the kife is absolutely sharp and steel it often) cut the potato in the thickness you want the fry to be. Then taking 2 or 3 of the slices, cut them again in equal thickness as the original cut. This gives you square ends and uniform thickness fries.
Rinsing or wiping the knife free of starch very frequently assists too.
I don't teach the students to chop the slices but instead to place the tip of the knife on the cutting board and draw it through the slices in one smooth cut. This minimizes sticking from the accumulation of starch on the knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom