"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Cook

Thanks for your replies everyone. jpmcgrew, do you heat your tortillas before wrapping, or are they soft enough already?

Any monthly cooking I have done so far is just things like when I make lasagna, I will make 3 or 4 of them to have on hand in the freezer. Several years ago, I did this whole big thing right before I had my last child so my husband wouldn't have to worry too much about dinners. I think I made up something like 60 entrees and used a cookbook on monthly cooking for the recipes. I found that I like my own recipes better, as the seasonings were not up to what we like and there was no precooking of onions and things like that, so it didn't turn out like what we were used to in casseroles. I am more interested now in doing things like the burritos. I have also thought about doing biscuits or rolls, mashed potatoes frozen in scoops, muffins, cookies, breakfast sandwiches...stuff that we use a lot of. If anyone has any other ideas for kinds of foods that work well in the freezer, I'd love to hear about them.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Just foil is fine because they also go into ziploc freezer bags. . . . He puts it on the manifold of his truck engine and they get piping hot.
jpmcgrew, thanks for all the advice.
  1. If it were not for the reheating method, described would you still wrap in foil? If so why?
  2. I join in the polite request for a rough list of ingredients if not recipes.
  3. I assume the breakfast burritos contain scrambled eggs. I hope you'll share how you freeze and reheat those without damaging the eggs.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Executive Chef

[quote=sunnysmile]Thanks for your replies everyone. jpmcgrew, do you heat your tortillas before wrapping, or are they soft enough already?
No dont heat tortillas just fill them and freeze.Thats it.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
jpmcgrew, thanks for all the advice.
  1. If it were not for the reheating method, described would you still wrap in foil? If so why?
  2. I join in the polite request for a rough list of ingredients if not recipes.
  3. I assume the breakfast burritos contain scrambled eggs. I hope you'll share how you freeze and reheat those without damaging the eggs.
I wrap in foil because I freeze them.
Breakfast burritos first I saute some onions then the sausage you can use bacon or ham if thats what you like.Then I boil some potatoes and fry in a bit of oil to get them crisp adding some S&P garlic and some herbs I then very soft scramble eggs and cook up some New Mexico green chili.I mix chili with meat after that I take a flour tortilla add a little bit of meat chili mix,potatoes,eggs and grated sharp cheddar.Thats it but it is hard to explain the chili deal as you hafto live here to understand Northern New Mexico foods.
Corazon! I need you to help explain.
They heat up well as I dont over cook eggs
Its a staple around here. Some people will add some pinto beans as well.

Again I hope Corazon will chime in as the chili here is soo good but so hard to get in the rest of the country .
Think Hatch, New Mexico they grow some of the best chili in the world it can be mild or hot,red or green.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Check it out.
Hatch Valley Chile Festival :: New Mexico Tourism Department -
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
Executive Chef

This explains it better
New Mexico Chile
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I would use waxed paper, no aluminium foil, just because I like to be different!

Not really. I'd skip the foil because I just KNOW if I used foil, someone would stick one in the microwave without removing it, and then

In fact, I'd probably use waxed paper to wrap each individual burrito, then bag them all together in a freezer bag.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I freeze enchiladas all the time. I freeze them individually until they harden and then wrap individually and put in freezer bags. I also make home made enchilada sauce that I freeze separately in about 1/2 cup portions. I freeze home made meatballs the same way, small bags of marinara, soups and stews, cooked shredded meat for tex mex meals or sandwiches. I alway try to have shredded cooked chicken in 1 cup portions in the freezer. I like to have things like this in the freezer for busy days when I don't feel like cooking. So much better then take out and fast food meals.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
Cook

85 smallish burritos (soft taco sized tortillas) later....the process went pretty quick with my daughter helping me. We have success!....Now, I just need to see how the quality is after they've been frozen.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Executive Chef

As long as they are wrapped well it should be no problem like I said before if you cover them with a damp paper towel when microwaving it keeps the tortilla soft.You will love the convience of having these a quick snack/meal or when a friend comes over etc.