"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Cook

How to make burritos for the freezer?

I am becoming more interested in monthly cooking using my freezer for make-ahead meals. My kids love the frozen burritos from the store, and I figured I could probably make them cheaper. Does anyone know the correct technique for making them for the freezer? I would just make the burrito and put them out on a tray, freeze, and then bag after frozen solid. Is this sufficient or is there something else required? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance....newbie here!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hmm...I would think that you could wrap them each in foil, then in a freezer bag and pop them all in the freezer. I wouldn't think you need to pre-freeze them..(??)

Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I too think Pre-freezing would be un-necessary unless you are using a vacumn-sealer.. That is one thing you could consider for freshness. That is, using a sealer to lock in the freshness. Then, your children could Microwave them right out of the freezer..
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmile
I would just make the burrito and put them out on a tray, freeze, and then bag after frozen solid.
Your burritos may end up tasting like the freezer. I would wrap them first then freeze them.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Im actually doing burittos today I make them and freeze them all the time as said before I make them and wrap in then put them in 1 gallon ziploc bags and freeze them I usually make about 80 at a time.HB loves them when you want one just take out of freezer take of foil wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave.If I plan on making smothered burittos I take them out in morning and let them thaw in refrigerator.
In a few days I will be making breakfast burittos as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

I've never made burritoes but think they would stick together if you didn't either wrap them, like has been suggested, or freeze them till firm before you packaged them together. If you don't want to wrap them individually and don't have a vaccuum sealer, you might want to try that press and seal by glad - looks like cool stuff.

While we're on the subject, jpmcgrew or sunnysmile, either of you care to share your recipes? I'm always looking for things that can be made ahead in mass and frozen ... Thank you!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

When I make them I wrap them individually you hafto wrap them in foil before freezing or the tortillas will dry out too much.
I dont mind sharing recipes but as far a red or green chili or burittos etc I dont have written recipes, I just make them Ive done it so long I dont need a recipe.Iwill try to come up with some written recipes wish I could just show people and have them taste it,it would be so much easier as I season and taste as I go.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
When I make them I wrap them individually you hafto wrap them in foil before freezing or the tortillas will dry out too much.
That's what I was wondering ... Do you wrap them in plastic wrap too, or just the foil?

Quote:
I dont mind sharing recipes but as far a red or green chili or burittos etc I dont have written recipes, I just make them Ive done it so long I dont need a recipe.Iwill try to come up with some written recipes ...
I understand that - it's like people asking for my meatloaf recipe. What about just your ingredient list? Please, don't go to too much trouble!

Thank you!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Im actually doing burittos today I make them and freeze them all the time as said before I make them and wrap in then put them in 1 gallon ziploc bags and freeze them I usually make about 80 at a time.HB loves them when you want one just take out of freezer take of foil wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave.If I plan on making smothered burittos I take them out in morning and let them thaw in refrigerator.
In a few days I will be making breakfast burittos as well.
You said EIGHTY at a time??????

Wow. Well, if you don’t mind could you post your recipe here? I’d like to try it myself! What do you use for the “wrapping”. Do you make your own tortillas or use store bought?

Edited to add: Heh, I should have read the whole thread and saw what you said about the recipe!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Just foil is fine because they also go into ziploc freezer bags.

Yes I will make 80 at a time I cook the filling the first day grate cheese the next day and wrap em up.No I dont make the flour tortillas.I buy the Mission brand burrito size I like them because they are soft and dont break when you make the burritos and wrap them fairly tight in the foil.I also tear my foil sheets the night before.I dont have an amount of meat I use cause like I said before I just do it but it always works out some how.
We live on a ranch and town is 45 miles away so theres no going for takeout so this is good way to have stuff on hand HB will take one frozen to work which is anywhere on the 600.000 + acres. He puts it on the manifold of his truck engine and they get piping hot.
Sometimes I have my neighbor come and help roll them she can do twice as many as me in return she takes a few home.