"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

How to make whipped peanut butter ... help!

Hello All ...
I'm in my car most of the day for my job so am always looking for ideas for lunch and snacks that are easy to eat but still somewhat good for me. I make baggies of veggies on Sundays and make dill dip to go with it but it's getting old so I thought "Hey! peanut butter goes with celery and carrots, what about a little container in the car?" It doesn't really work ... too thick to "dip" and I ended up eating more than I really wanted to. I recently saw Jif came out with a whipped peanut butter but I'm trying to get away from processed foods and have been making my own peanut butter.

Here's my question ... can I whip my own peanut butter to make whipped peanut butter? Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

I've never tried it, but you can add a little milk to thin it out, then whip/beat it in a processor or mixer. You can also add a little oil if needed.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The only way to get a whipped texture with peanut butter is hydrogenated oils. Jif uses fully hydrogenated oil (supposedly doesn't contain trans fats when fully hydrogenated), meaning that it will whip. If you were to take regular Jif and whip it in a kitchenaid in a few minutes you would have a much lighter whipped product, if you were to do the same with natural peanut butter you wouldn't be able to achieve the same results.

I find that the "no stir" brand name natural peanut butters such as Jif, Skippy, and Peter Pan they are made with palm oil and are a bit softer and may be easier to dip.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The only way to get a whipped texture with peanut butter is hydrogenated oils. Jif uses fully hydrogenated oil (supposedly doesn't contain trans fats when fully hydrogenated), meaning that it will whip. If you were to take regular Jif and whip it in a kitchenaid in a few minutes you would have a much lighter whipped product, if you were to do the same with natural peanut butter you wouldn't be able to achieve the same results.
Indeed, and while there are no trans-fats, whipped, aerated oil still is a health risk as it is supposed to be harder to process/breakdown, but that is another story.

Short of this, OP, you could make more of a peanut butter mousse, basicly peanut butter folded into whipped cream with a little gelatin, OR a better/easier alternative, and 100% shelf stable, fold in 50% peanut butter to 50% marshmallow fluff. basically, fluffernutter in a jar.

An amazing, dip-able, no adulteration needed, some will say even healthy alternative: Nutella.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
How about filling the hollows of the celery stalks with peanut butter at home? My mum used to put those in my school lunches.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Master Chef

I would try beating a combination of cream cheese and peanut butter.

taxlady, my mom did it too, lol!

ants on a log

Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Some other options for healthy dips are tzatziki made with Greek yogurt, hummus, guacamole and pesto. If you have a small cooler, you can make salad in a jar for lunch: http://karenknichols.blogspot.ca/201...ar-salads.html
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I think I would prefer loading the celery with peanut butter rather than using a dipping method. Once you introduce what ever is clinging to the celery, you will need to refrigerate the peanut butter unless you are consuming quickly.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I think I would prefer loading the celery with peanut butter rather than using a dipping method. Once you introduce what ever is clinging to the celery, you will need to refrigerate the peanut butter unless you are consuming quickly.
Good point.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thank you all for your ideas ... I've done the stuffed celery but that helps only the celery . I really want to find a way to make peanut butter "dippable" for the other veggies, and sometimes fruit, that I have.

I do have a cooler that I pack with everything for the day ... breakfast, lunch, and snacks as well as my little ice pack.

I'll keep searching for ideas ... thank you again!

Tags
butter, how to, peanut butter