How to soften a 5 lb bag of hardened white sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gram9

Assistant Cook
It is Easter morning and I have family coming for dinner! When I went to get my sugar from the pantry, I discovered it was hard as a rock. Since I am out in the country far from a store, getting a new bag was not an option. I went to ask.com for info as to how to soften it. One suggestion was to beat the h*** out of it lol and another was to microwave with a small bowl of water. First of all, sugar hardens because of humidity or moisture getting into the bag; so I didn't think the small bowl of water was a good idea.
Therefore, I put the whole bag in the microwave for 3 minutes on medium. Turn the bag over once during this process. I removed the bag and using a cutting board I kept beating the bag on the board first one way and then another (not so hard as to burst the bag). The whole bag was soft within minutes and saved my day! I hope this helps someone in the future :)
Gram9

Andy's was more or less my method. We don't eat a lot of sugar, so often find ourselves in this situation. I put an extra bag on it, and go outside and throw it on the concrete over and over until it is ready to use.

I'll do that to break it up into smaller chunks then put them in my mini chopper or the food processor and then I have nice soft sugar again.

I'll do that to break it up into smaller chunks then put them in my mini chopper or the food processor and then I have nice soft sugar again.

I don't treat my sugar that way ;-)

But I will nuke it with a bit of water in a separate bowl, if I need it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom