"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks for summarizing what I couldn't seem to get to (who knows why, I'm a computer amateur). I didn't expect there to be much I didn't know, but there were a few. And a couple I can pass on. Thais generally eat with spoons and only use chopsticks for Chinese influenced dishes. Has anyone ever eaten with the stainless steel Korean chopsticks? Now there's a real challenge. Slippery and skinny. And -- it's perfectly OK to take a bite of something large and return it to your plate; much more acceptable than trying to cut it. I was truly accepted by a Chinese acquaintance when she saw me pick up the oxtails (in a soup) with my chop sticks, take a bite of the meat, and put it back down. Another is that when it comes to some dishes, in some Asian cultures, (noodles in particular), it is OK to lift the bowl up to near your chin and sort of slop them in. In most Asian cultures I've been exposed to it isn't polite to cut your food at the table; knives are considered barbarian, have no place at a meal.

There are many cultures who use chop sticks, and sometimes the etiquette varies. But the spearing things pretty much is a no-go with anyone I've eaten with. I've seen people around a table grab food out of a common pot without turning the chopsticks around the way I've heard it should be done. But to be fair, most of my experiences have been in the US (albeit with people who were not Americans). Guess it goes with the no knives. You don't stab or cut at the table. That's just my surmise.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
Cook

I lived in Japan for nearly 4 years and for the most part THEY need to read this etiquette guide.

I don't think you would offend anyone but the easily offended with most of those gestures, as they are ignored by the majority anyway. For instance, I bet if they read an American etiquette guide to the fork, they would probably see something that says don't use a used fork to transfer food between plates..........then they'd come to my house and be totallly confused

The main thing is not leaving your chopsticks in any of your dishes when finished eating.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

I was at a family party once in a chinese restaurant and mother in law watched me use the chop sticks. she was amazed and said how did you use it so well ? I said it was easy