"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

How to use chopsticks

chopsticks

Old 04-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
While I consider myself skilled with chopstix I had no idea about the etiquette involved... thanks Rainee!

Old 04-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
DC Grandma

I have never mastered the art of chopsticks..I 'wear" enough of my food just by using a fork. If I tried chopsticks..Dove would enjoy a buffett.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

Very funny, Dove. In reading that site the mistake I make in using chopsticks is holding them to close to the front. I will have to remember that the next time I use them. Thanks, rainee!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Thanks, Rainee! I'm pretty good at chopsticks too and the rules mostly seem to be basic courtesy. Can I still try and catch flies like Mr. Miyagi?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Thanks, Rainee. I'm passing that info on to my sushi-loving youngest son.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Smile

Thanks Rainee! Ive never mastered chopsticks either. So, thanks i'll try to practice!! And, i'm more like dove i would be wearing most my food!! LOL
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Master Chef

Couldn't download the site, woe is me because I'm curious to see if I've missed much. When my little sister and I were teenagers, we decided to go on a chopsticks diet -- we could eat whatever we wanted, but we had to eat it with chopsticks. Needless to say, we became experts at eating with chopsticks and lost not an ounce. Love of food will win out every time! A couple of military assignments to Hawaii really refined my ability (and my knowledge of etiquette) to the point where Asian acquaintances, waiters and other food workers would be quite surprised (being, I think, prepared to make fun of the big blond haole woman who stood out in the crowd). So --- wanna learn chopsticks? Make it something you do regularly and NO CHEATING. Eat noodles and rice with them, no stabbing and skewering.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

What kind of msg did you get? I just tried and it worked on this end.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Did a cut and paste for you Claire. What you say about doing it right is totally true... I mostly taught myself how to use them when eating nothing but rice or noodles... so once you can do that snatching food from other peoples plates becomes really easy. Hey, I said I was good... but I have terrible manners!

Some of the most important chopstick rules are:

* Hold your chopsticks towards their end, and not in the middle or the front third.

* When you are not using your chopsticks and when you are finished eating, lay them down in front of you with the tip to left.

* Do not stick chopsticks into your food, especially not into rice. Only at funerals are chopsticks stuck into the rice that is put onto the altar.

* Do not pass food with your chopsticks directly to somebody else's chopsticks. Only at funerals are the bones of the cremated body given in that way from person to person.

* Do not spear food with your chopsticks.

* Do not point with your chopsticks to something or somebody.

* Do not move your chopsticks around in the air too much, nor play with them.

* Do not move around plates or bowls with chopsticks.

* To separate a piece of food into two pieces, exert controlled pressure on the chopsticks while moving them apart from each other. This needs much exercise.

* If you have already used your chopsticks, use the opposite end of your chopsticks in order to move food from a shared plate to your own plate.

Knife and fork are used for Western food only. Spoons are sometimes used to eat Japanese dishes that are difficult to eat with chopsticks, for example some donburi dishes or Japanese style curry rice. A Chinese style ceramic spoon is sometimes used to eat soups.

Click here for more information about Japanese table manners.

Any question, advice or opinion? Voice them in the forum!