"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

Since you are pureeing the veggies, you don't have to worry about overcooking. Cook the veggies until soft, puree and add the lentils and cook them. It will take longer that way but it may be the easiest if you have the time.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Andy. That was my backup thought process. The only problem with it, as you pointed out, is the additional time it will take. If I make this on the weekend then that is not an issue, but if I am making it on a work night then it would take too long. DW and I could hold out, but Rachel would be yelling Shoop Shoop Shoop for way too long

Old 11-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I like And's idea best. Other than cooking the lentils in separate broth, it's goin gto get the best results. Red lentils can be pureed, but the others don't take as well to it.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

If you chop the veggies very finely they will cook faster. They don't have to be completely cooked through for you to puree them.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Good point Andy. It is the potatoes that will take the longest to cook, but I can chop those down quite a bit to get it to cook faster. The other veggies are actually quick cooking things like leeks and celery.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
Everymom

Hey GB, since this is all fairly experimental anyway may I make a weird suggestion? Why don't you toss the lentils into a casserole dish with some broth and throw them in the microwave while you are prepping the other veggies? That would be like, what 15 minutes or so? Maybe 20? If you covered them with enough broth and let them go in there for that long then tossed them in with the soup I bet they would be just right when you want to eat.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I like that idea a lot Alix! I never even considered the microwave, but I think this could be a perfect use for it!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Interesting! Be sure to let us know how the microwaved lentils turn out!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Update

I made the soup yesterday. I used the microwave to do the lentils. Before I started prepping the veggies I put the lentils in a dish covered with stock and nuked them for 15 minutes to start. While those were going I started the rest of my prep work. 15 minutes was not nearly enough so I added another 10. That did not do it either. I did not keep track of how much time they spent in the mic, but I am guessing it was around 40 minutes in the end. They were done a little while before the soup was done which was great. I would call this method a success! Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

GB, glad it worked. I suppose you could have done the lentils on a burner as well.