"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

How would I cook lentils like this?

I have a recipe for a soup that has me chop up all the veggie, cook everything until tender, then puree it. The last time I made this soup I decided that lentils would be an interesting addition. I have two questions.

1. How long do lentils need to cook. The soup simmers for about 30 minutes. That should be long enough for the lentils right?

2. How would I cook the lentils in the soup, but then be able to remove then so they do not puree with the rest of the ingredients? I was thinking of tying them up in cheese cloth and dropping them into the soup. Would that work? Would I be better off cooking them on their own somehow? Any other ideas?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Cook the other veggies to soften them, add the liquid and puree. then add the lentils and cook for the required time. Depending on the type of lentils, it may take more than 30 minutes.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

GB I was assuming that you were doing a sweat with aromatics. Are youi talking about cooking veggies in the liquid as part of the soup?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
1. It depends on the type of lentils you are using. The yellow and orange versions which I most often use, cook very quickly, in about 15 minutes. The green version (puy) takes longer, anywhere between 30-45 minutes. It also depends on how you like the lentils, we prefer them sort of al dente, with a little body, so the cooking time we use is usually shorter. Many people like their lentils very soft, almost to the mush, then, naturally, needs to be cooked more. You need to sort of taste and determine the prefered consistency.

2. Do you have something like pasta cooking pot? It is double layered, the top compartment has the holes, so when you lift it (and the pasta inside), it drains the water. If you have something like that, maybe you can put everything else on the bottom compartment and then put the lentils in the top (inside) compartment. Also a pressure cooker has a similar feature, with a separate basket.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Andy, yes the veggies cook in the liquid. Basically I sweat the veggies for a few minutes, then add the liquid and cook for another 30 minutes or so, then puree.

The lentils are French lentils. They are small, brown (or maybe green, darn colorblindness), and hold their shape when cooked.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13

Do you have something like pasta cooking pot? Also a pressure cooker has a similar feature, with a separate basket.
Both great suggestions. Unfortunately I do not have either, although a pressure cooker is on my wish list (DW are you reading this ).

The closest I have is a metal strainer, but I do not think it will fit well enough in my pot to use this way.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes, I am pretty sure your lentils are "Puy". 30 minutes may be enough but if you like it softer (this type of lentils tend to remain "al dente") you may want a little extra cooking time, or presoak the lentils with a bit of baking soda for a couple of hours.

Yeah, metal strainer may work too, do you think you can adjust the shape, or get a different sized one, I am sure it would be much cheaper than getting a pressure cooker for a quick solution! (but I really recommend a purchase of a pressure cooker sooner or later, very, very useful once you get the hang of its usage!!)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Andy, yes the veggies cook in the liquid. Basically I sweat the veggies for a few minutes, then add the liquid and cook for another 30 minutes or so, then puree.

The lentils are French lentils. They are small, brown (or maybe green, darn colorblindness), and hold their shape when cooked.
GB, I find that the Puy lentils like abour 45 minutes of simmering.

What time is dinner? I"ll bring the bread!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Yes I believe you are right about them being Puy and al dente would work well for me with this type of lentil.

No the strainer is a solid one, not a collapsible one so there is no way I will be able to use it. My collapsible just recently broke otherwise that would have been a good solution.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Dinner starts when you arrive ChefJune ...Well after a glass or two of wine first of course.